Bad HDD? Bad Partitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarita

Beta member
Win2k, Seagate 40gb drive...
Is it possible to have a good HDD but with dodgy NTFS system? something that could be fixed with a re-format? My drive has passed all the check disks etc, but a seagate programme has come up with the attached error message. I'm hoping to not have to buy a new drive. Thanks.

Attachments

• st340014.txt
    3 KB · Views: 36
After scanning through that I could find "The following errors were found while scanning the volume: - One or more file names contained errors - One or more errors were found in the index"

It seems to be a data-related error. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong.

If you are in a situation where you can do a full reformat/reinstall of Windows, then I would reccamend it.

Let me know how it behaves.

Run chkdsk

Mycomputer > properties of the HD > Tools > error checking

it will check your disk and corrent any errors when u reboot.

I'm assuming he already did that,

My drive has passed all the check disks etc

Maybe if he were to run chkdsk or similar outside of windows, such as with a properly booted Win2k disc. And while he's there, maybe run fixboot and fixmbr to clean his boot records up...

Thanks for responding. For the record I am a 'she'. Yes I have already run checkdisk etc. The programme that I have just used is a Seagate one, seems to be pretty good. Anyhow, I thought it was data too as opposed to the hardware so I am going to re-format then try again. Thank you both for your assistance. I'll let you know how I get on.

Oh, sorry for the mistake. ;) After talking to males all day you get into a loop.

Let us know how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom