Bad experience with Newegg...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heyyo,

Wait.. you said you got that emachine for only $144... what kindof cpu does it have? I'd imagine p3 at the most. Let's test:

right-click on "my computer" and go "properties"

now wait a few seconds, and a new window will pop up and it'll load the size of the cpu in the bottom right of it. Tell us the info it says under the word "computer" after it's done loading of course.

What the problem might be is you bought a heatsink that's incompatible with your socket. Of course P4's use many sockets, this could help us narrow down your prob.

Plus yeah... a $5-8 HSF cooling solution sounds like it wasn't gonna help you much anywho if not cause problems..

uzi9mm said:
The best air cooling solution for the Intel LGA775 cpu's is the stock HSF w/ the thermal pad.

?? Certainly not! You NEVER want to use the thermal pad if you know what you are doing. You want metal on metal doing the thermal transfer, not some inbetween material handling it all. Thats why when you apply AS5 or another compound, you only put about the size of a grain of rice in the center of the chip and let physics spread it all out.

I love Newegg. They have never screwed me, and ship my stuff right away. I enjoy giving them my buisness, I believe they deserve it. While their shipping rates do not beat Zipzoomfly's Free 2nd day shipping on almost everything, Newegg's 2nd day shipping is always super cheap. Like evryone said, I think you screwed yourself.

ImUseless said:
Finally, I would always consult AMD or Intel for info on which
aftermarket HSF or mobo work with a particular cpu to insure
a workable relationship to prevent these types of aggravations.

Using an after market HSF voids the warranty on the CPU. I dont know how they would know if you used an aftermarket HSF, but according to them, using anythign but the supplied HSF that comes with the CPU will void the warranty. That is all they would tell you, and they would not tell you anything about the best aftermarket one to use.

dbernie41 said:
lso... what is RMAing an item?:(

Return Merchandise Authorization. It is what you get when you want to return a product to a company because it is defective. You call them, and they issue you the RMA number, and you write it all over the package when you send it to them (once on every side). That way, when they get it, they just punch the number into the computer, and it pulls up what they need to do and who to send it to. Makes everything easier on their end.

The Intel heatsink and thermal pad are great, I think they dropped like 2-3 degrees with AS5 on it, but AS5 is harder for a customer to apply

I dont know about the warranty issue but AMD sure does
endorse the use of aftermarket items as I have used their
guidelines for years. BTW, they do their own testing on the
products they reccommend and use their findings in their
system building guidleines to help AMD customers.

This is from AMD's website:

AMD Athlon™ XP Processor Thermal Solutions

This search tool permits AMD customers and resellers to locate
thermal solutions that AMD has evaluated with the AMD Athlon™
XP processor. This utility is provided as a service to AMD customers
and resellers to enable a positive user experience with the AMD
Athlon™ XP processor.

Due to the complex nature of the issues affecting reliable
processor operation with a thermal solution, AMD selects the
most popular solutions to evaluate using a series of rigorous
thermal and mechanical tests. These tests have been developed
to evaluate compliance with thermal design guidelines for the AMD Athlon™ XP processor. Please note, the following heatsinks have
been evaluated for maintaining the specified case die temperature requirement. In addition, this selection is not intended to be a comprehensive listing of all heatsinks that support AMD processors.

Yeah, this guy needs to kick himself in the butt and stop blaming newegg. What HS&FAN is it? You can't read stupid users reviews and expect that it's the best you can get. You have to search else were and ask people in real time what is the best. If you were planning on overclocking a piece of crap celeron 330 may-be you should have visited http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php?

Do some research and you'll find that arctic silver 5 takes close to 100 hours to set and be effective. Plus, you probably used too much. Half a grain of rice thinly scrapped out evenly does the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom