Bad experience with Newegg... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Bad experience with Newegg...

I am kind of fed up with Newegg at this point. I was thinking of trying overclocking on my Celeron 330 D so I decided to get a new heatsink and fan. Keep in mind that I am on an eMachine that I got for $199.99 WITH a 17 inch monitor brand new... so you can imagine the stock parts are nothing great. Anyways, I used the search on Newegg to find a good HS, I sorted them by user rating at the average rating was 5/5 eggs and had 13 user reviews that all sounded pretty good. So I went ahead and bought it, I couldnt wait for it to come and be installed with the new Arctic Silver 5 that I bought off of eBay because its a ripoff on Newegg.

So... 2 days after I place my order I go to xoxide.com and see they have the same heatsink that I had just bought off of Newegg for LESS THAN 1/3 of the price! So I wasnt too happy about that. Second, I put on the new HS/fan and my CPU temps went up from 48C to 62C! Thats rediculous! A stock HS/fan that came on a system this cheap was beating the crap out of my new one.

I switched back to my stock to make sure I didnt mess up one of the censors or something when I installed the new HS and sure enough my temps went back down to 48C. Not an error... just a piece of crap from newegg.

I also now know why all of the user ratings are so good on that site... if its negative at all they dont let you post it!

I have tried and modified multiple reviews and they have all been denied.

What a joke. If I decide to build a system, Newegg wont get any of my business unless they have some unbelievable deal. But their prices don't seem that great at all anyways.

Old 07-06-2005, 12:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to regnak

I suggest that you tell us the Make and Model number and tell us here and in the "Items not to Buy" Thread. Also, any after market HSF should not increase the temps by 14C try RMAing the item to make sure you did not get a defective item. Also may I suggest reading item reviews before purchasing any item. OCC (overclockersclub) always has quite through reviews in my opinion

Old 07-06-2005, 12:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

wow, sounds like you should've did more homework on what you were gonna buy instead of buying by customer reviews. sounds like newegg didnt jack you, you jacked yourself.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

The best air cooling solution for the Intel LGA775 cpu's is the stock HSF w/ the thermal pad.
EVGA GTX 480
CORSAIR 850-HX
Old 07-06-2005, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

uh obviously you don't know how to apply thermal paste

probably put too much of it

Quote:
I don\'t play for fun, I play to win and winning is fun.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Ya, I hate it when Newegg filters their costumer reviews. They should stop doing that.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Powerslave

The heatsink takes awhile to lower temps. A lot of people have that problem. And do your homework, sheesh, not newegg's fault.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

also if you seem too smart on newegg and post an intelligent review they won't post it it seems....I've made reviews for the 6600GT from eVGA and the 352 2400+ XP-M in which I went into the speeds with certain Vcores and things like that and it's like it was 'too detailed' and wasn't just YEAH OMG THIS THING IS TEH ROX0RS OF MY BOX0RS NEWEGG IS GR8!! or garbage like that.

but yeah this is why I go to about 5 different online stores and see which is the cheapest
Old 07-06-2005, 02:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Newegg is communist. They only like to hear what they want to hear. And only want people to know what they want them to know.

I bought a motherboard that only officially supported like 10-20 video cards. And it was a piece of junk. I wrote a bad review on it, and they did not accept it. by the way, the mobo was an ASrock. ASrock should be named A$$crack.

But hey they are pretty good with pleasing their customers. Like I received a busted case, they overnighted a new one to me for free, and let me keep the broken one!!!!
EVGA GTX 480
CORSAIR 850-HX
Old 07-06-2005, 02:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

They are communist when it comes to the reviews, but overall I've had nothing but good services from them and a lot of times they do have the cheapest stuff.

And yeah ASRock is crap

Closed Thread