bad board, hd or cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMonkey

Beta member
I just moved an old hand me down hp 6730 to a different case so i can upgrade it. when i formatted the hard drive and installed a fresh copy of win 98se, i got an error. the initial scandiskafter the os install came up with errors in directory structure and file systems. I reformatted a few times and still got the same error. I figured the hard drive was bad, so I took it to my 'real' pc and reformatted and installed 98se and it worked perfectly. I then took the new drive with the os on it and reinstalled it on the "junk" computer. upon bootup, it quickly flashed the win98 sceen, and than a "system.ini cannot be found" message appeared. what gives? aside from the case, power supply (whick is more powerful) cd rom/burner and floppy drive, evertying is from the same computer, even the power switch. i have trried for a week to fix this and i am stumped. can someone please point me int he right direction? thanks!

trash it and buy a Mac!

nah jk

when moving a hard drive with an OS to a different PC with a different board it usually requires different settings which is normally done with a repair install, or reinstall.
but since installing fresh didn't work I think this is either not the problem, or only part of the problem
it could be a bad part (part of the mobo, BIOS, video card etc)

or

you also said it couldn't find system.ini
put the drive in the 'real' PC, do a search for system.ini (start, search) and see what it comes up with
if it does find system.ini it might be in the wrong directory, or does not have the right info

I was wondering if it is a bad bios, the computer did work before i moved all the components to the differenct case. will flashing the bios to an updated version fix it if it is? Can you flash it with out an os too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom