Bad BIOS Checksum

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobafett573

In Runtime
ok, i'm really upset because this motherboard i have is only 2 months old and it is acting up! for the past 2 weeks, every time i boot up my computer, i got to deal with an error message saying "Bad BIOS Checksum" and then it tries to repair itself using the motherboard driver cd (and that always fails because after it finds the cd, the system freezes up). I REALLY don't want to send my whole motherboard back to the manufacturer (i have an Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo) because there is no way i'm going without a computer for multiple days! Is there any way to repair this without sending it back to the manufacturer? I've already tried reinstalling the BIOS from windows but the problem still exists. any help would be great.

I used to get that error, it was either bad BIOS settins or a bad EIDE cable. Finaly replaced the cable and i stoped getting that error.

If none of the above works then it sounds like a problem I had once with the slot the battery stays in not being able to hold the battery in good enough so the CMOS was never able to store info. I had to reset the CMOS just to turn the computer on. If it's something like that, then I'm afraid your only option is to RMA it.

other than the IDE cables, what other specific types of cables do i need to check? i've already flashed the BIOS and that didn't work. i've just been putting up with rebooting my computer once or twice until it finally would boot up but i'm getting tired of that. i'll probably go back inside tomorrow. i just installed a GeForce 6600GT video card and another 512mb stick of RAM. i bet i knocked some cable loose or something. i just don't understand why it acts up sometimes but not always.

try buying a new battery(a basic watch battery from radio shack. just match the number on the back) before you do anything else. that what a bad checksum mean.

oh i did realize that my battery wasn't fitting too snuggly into the battery slot! i REALLY REALLY don't want to RMA it. you think i could use good ol' scotch tape to try to get it to stay in better or might the tape melt or damage the mobo (therefore voiding the warranty lol)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom