Is the back plate really needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PILMAN

In Runtime
Is the backplate for your motherboard really needed? (the part where the mouse connector, keyboard connector, sound are). I never installed mine but someone was telling me that I risk damage without it on. I haven't used one for 2 years and I haven't had problems. Yeah the motherboard is somewhat exposed but I seem to always forget to install it.

Its not required, but highly recomended!!!!! The backplate gives you stabilty for the mouse and other ports. Also if anything falls in the back of your computer into your mobo and it is conductive it could fry it.

FrontSide said:
It really doesn't matter. The I/O shield only protects against dust.
I better make sure I run that then. That way, I should only have to clean the dust balls out of my case every 6 months instead of 5. :)

i'm not to worried about anything falling into it. I'm guessing metal conducts electricity, would say a quarter falling in fry it? Also on my case theres these metal parts that hold the cd bay slots in place, one of those fell when the computer was on, it fell into the motherboard but it appears to be ok. I've seen people never have the side of their case on, of course when little johnny comes running into the room with delight on his face with all the nice little lights in your computer, better watch out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom