automatic restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

subdismal

Solid State Member
I replaced the motherboard in my PC not too long ago because the resistors in my Epox exploded. I replaced it with an Asus. Anyway...everything seems to be working basically alright. Seems like the new motherboard is having some sort of problems with my hardware, though...possibly my NIC (network card), inparticular.

I'm into online gaming, especially Warcraft III. So, I get my computer back and working and everything, and decide to play an online game of Warcraft. Out of nowhere, my PC decided to restart. The sound lags and jitters, then it just restarts. I have no earthly idea what in the hell is going on with that, because it's just weird.

I think it's a network problem because it seems like in times when there's heavy traffic coming through my cable modem, it wants to restart. The Asus motherboard doesn't seem to want to let me modem connect to my PC via my Kingston NIC, for some reason.

I took my PC to the shop to get the new motherboard put in, etc. since I was having some previous problems (which was a fried mobo)....I think I had some shady characters working on my computer because when I went back in and checked my network neighborhood and my network settings and whatnot, I had an FTP site and another shared network folder. Not sure what either of them are. I'm not sure if that's relevant or not, but I think it may have something to do with the way my network is configured in whatever way, may even be that I'm having to use the on-board LAN.

Sorry this post was so long, but what do you guys think I should do? Anything to try? The PC people offered to diagnose/fix the problem for free, since it was obviously their error. I just need some advice.

Thanks, in advance. :)

I'd say first thing, let the computer guy look at it if he's doing it for free, and see if he can fix it
did you or the computer guy do a repair/reinstall of the OS to 'adapt' to the new mobo?
have you got all the right drivers for the cards and such - especially the NIC card?

Well, apparently the guy did have to do some Windows customization for the repair/install, but not sure the depth he went into with it.

I do know that he called and needed my Microsoft product key, for whatever reason, I don't know.

I guess I'll be taking the massive Chieftec server tower back to the repair shop for them to take another week with it.

Gah! I hate to do that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom