Audio/Modem Risers

Status
Not open for further replies.

daRcer

Baseband Member
I'm doing a project for my computer repair class and it seems that not on of the 8,058,044,651 pages Google searches that has any information on the bus speed of AMRs. I've also looked on a few computer-specific websites I know of, but none of them are of any help. Not even Intel has any information on AMRs even though they developed it seven years ago. If anyone can either tell me what the bus speed of an AMR bus is or post a link to where I can find it, it'll be very much appreciated.

Should run same speed as PCI bus, so 33MHz or 66MHz depending on whether it supports PCI v2.1 on that motherboard.

Thanks a lot, that should work seeing as my teacher couldn't even find it. Do you have a source of the info or did you just know that? A website to show him would be nice but not neccessary.

Actually, no. To be honest it's a bit of an educated guess.

AMR was designed as a way of enabling an OEM to produce a single card with dual functionality, thereby keeping costs down. Both these 2 devices (audio & modem) has also been PCI devices (or ISA before that obviously), so we know that they run on bus speeds of 33MHz perfectly well. There's no reason that I can see to suggest that AMR should require a bus speed any higher than normal just because it's a dual function card.

Also, if a completely new bus had been designed specifically for AMR devices, I think someone would have heard of it by now. So the lack of any information on the web suggesting a specialized bus or different bus speeds etc kinda suggests that AMR uses the PCI bus.

That makes sense, no reason to have it any higher. Thanks again for your help. I can finally finish this project now.

daRcer said:
That makes sense, no reason to have it any higher. Thanks again for your help. I can finally finish this project now.

UR welcome

If your tutor disagrees, let him come on the forum & we'll argue it out with him!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom