Audio line-in stopped working suddenly

Status
Not open for further replies.

phitzdisco

Beta member
I've been transferring old cassettes to my computer to burn them to CD for the past few weeks, and today when I went to hook my stereo into the line-in inputs on my computer I heard absolutely nothing. I tried a different device to see if it was the stereo or wires (a 4-track recorder) but still no sound through my speakers.

I've tried messing with volume levels, general troubleshooting to no avail. Anyone have any ideas of some setting somewhere I may have accidentally changed, or something I could do to try to remedy this problem? Thanks in advance. I have a newer model HP media desktop with a gig of ram if that makes any difference.

- Fred

Go into the advanced audio properties and verify that the line-in port is not muted or deactivated. Check in hardware manager that you aren't getting a flag on your sound card.

No flags, volume is not muted, and I'm pretty sure that it's not deactivated. How do I make sure? Could it help to do a revert disc back a few days to see if something strange happened if I can't figure it out?

"Revert disc"? If you mean, restore from backup, then the only thing you lose is what you've done since the backup. If you mean system-restore, then you won't lose anything (file-wise).

Try reinstalling the correct audio drivers for your device. Then check what software you've installed recently (or PNP hardware).

Have you tried another audio port such as microphone? Or is it just the line-in port? (Trying to narrow down prob ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom