ATTN All Water Cooling Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Him said:
Got a resevoir, and they do float. I can see them chillin' about inside of there. I can also see them inside the pump. I dont think I have a filter, I didnt put one in, so I assume there is none. Is there alse some sort of valve I can get to put in the line? So I can just release it and close it to let some of the air out?

don't know of an air valve, that seems like it would let more air in then it would filter out. What kind of pump does your kit use? Some on the inside have blue filters around the intake and they should be removed IMO, they cut flow by alot. If you have the time i'd just take it apart and see if anything is in there along with the blocks...but that takes time.

Took a good looking at the pump, and I'm prety certain that there are no filters. There is nothing extra that i connect, and there is nothing that can come off from the pump. I'm not sure what pump it is, but, as I stated before, it is the stock one that came with the sustem. I also agree that the filters should be taken off if they were there, just like those springs that they give you to put inside the hoses to avoid kinking and to "Improve" water flow. Thats crap, those are crap, so they do not exist in my system. Butwaterflow is significantly restricted compared to what it used to be, half of what it was.

Him said:
Took a good looking at the pump, and I'm prety certain that there are no filters. There is nothing extra that i connect, and there is nothing that can come off from the pump. I'm not sure what pump it is, but, as I stated before, it is the stock one that came with the sustem. I also agree that the filters should be taken off if they were there, just like those springs that they give you to put inside the hoses to avoid kinking and to "Improve" water flow. Thats crap, those are crap, so they do not exist in my system. Butwaterflow is significantly restricted compared to what it used to be, half of what it was.

hmm...i'm stumped then. if you cant find any filters, and there isn't any mildew or anything in the blocks...hmm. Are you using distilled water?

http://www.ocmodshop.com/cleanblocks/big/4.jpg

In that pic..you see the white stuff on the acrylic? It kind of builds up over time because the block is copper. Can you see inside your block like that? Or maybe in your rad? It floats on water and will line your tubes if it's not cleaned out often...maybe that's it?

Also when u first got the kit did you rinse all the parts out? The tubes might have been filled with dust or something and now it won't cycle out...just an idea.

Yeah, I'm using distilled. The things are floating around, perhaps they are mildew? It's got coolant in it, figured things couldnt grow in it. But it is antifreeze, sugar, sweet, things grow. I think I should just flush it out, but thats such a pain. Especially unbolting my water block, that took me so long to put on right. Someone know how to unhook it all and remove it without water gettin all over my computer? It would be easy except for my resevoir, which the tubes are going through one of the card slots in the back of the case.

Ha ha HAAAA!! Figured it out! Like was mentioned in some topic or some thread, the cooling sustem should be drained approximately every 6 months, and that is comming up. Now, for the floatys. Simple: Algea! So apparently it happens, as it would in anyones system (and if it is not, I dont know why. Dont come yelling about how yours dosent do that and things like that shouldnt happen. It's water, things live in it.)
So I answered my own question.

housing the reservior above any lines in your system... exmaple- reservoir above your computer. might help prevent air from entering your system.

Good call, since is either at the same height of the pump or lower, and the pump is sitting on the bottom of my case so I can see whyu it would be lower. Higher than any lines, including the ones going to the waterblock? Presumably so. The only reason I didnt house it higher was the lines werent long enough. If I get longer tubes, do I need a bigger pump? When my buddy sold me the kit, he told me if I wanted to, for example, put in another radiator I would need a larger pump. I know that didnt have anything to do with the original question, but it does raise another. Would I need a bigger pump if I went with an additional radiator?

You are putting in additives and not just using plain distilled aren't you? You're supposed to add anti-rust, anti-freeze, anti-algae and bacterial growth elements to the distilled water.

if ur just adding more tubing, i wouldnt think it would make that big/or any of a diff. if u add another radiator, im not shur... if all the fins on the radiator add up to the same diameter as the tubing, the flow prolly isnt restricted that much. if thats the case... common scense would still tell me that u'd need a bigger pump, but i honestly dont see any reason/or dont know why you would need one bigger(u may not need a bigger pump)

if i had a watercooler and was going to add stuff that my restrict flow, i would test it b4 and then after adding the stuff to see if theres an actuall restriction. But i would also prolly have a pump bigger then the job actually requires, unless its pricey. better safe then sorry.

someone else should comment on the needing a bigger pump part though.

i cant imagine why u'd need a bigger one though.. example - if u have a garden hose, and u add 1 or 2 more garden hosess to make it Xtimes longer, youl still end up with the same amount of water coming out the nozzil at the same speed(or so i'd imajine).

jolancer said:
i cant imagine why u'd need a bigger one though.. example - if u have a garden hose, and u add 1 or 2 more garden hosess to make it Xtimes longer, youl still end up with the same amount of water coming out the nozzil at the same speed(or so i'd imajine).

you would just need more water to make sure th loop completes without any air bubbles.

the only thing about having a pump that is overkill for the system, is it may wear out your tubing faster, and cause more stress on them if the pressure is too great. a properly built system shouldn't have too much of a problem though, the 1/2" tubing itself is already "overkill" and pretty thick so it'll probably handle a good size pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom