AtlonXP 2800+ problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenEnvy

Beta member
Hi all,
I recently upgraded from a AtlonXP 1700+ (Palmino) to AthlonXP 2800+(Barton).
My mobo is a KT3 Utra, I have a Radeon 9700 AIW Pro, 512 MB DDR (1 stick DDR333 one stick DDR400), 2x80GB HDD's (Maxtor and WD), SB Audigy, DVDRom. 12x10x32Liteon CDRW, 3com 10/100 ethernet.
PSU is an Enermax 365W (dual fans)

The motherboard says it officially only supports a Athlon XP 2600 with the latest bios, though I've read many forums where people have gotten the 2800's to work fine. Apparently the reason the KT3 Ultra does not officially support the 2800 is that it does not automatically detect the FSB of 166, you need to manually set it.

Anyway, on to my problem.
After upgrading the CPU, I began having the following issue. The computer works fine while I am using it, however if I reboot it, either soft reboot (ie Start->shutdown->restart) or hard (Reset button) the computer will not boot back up. The video card never even comes back online (monitor's status light stays orange, indicating it has no signal)

Any amount of hitting the reset switch does not help, it just will not boot back up. If I turn it off and let it sit for 10 minutes, it powers on fine. This led me to believe it is a heat issue, but the CPU never goes above 43 degrees.

I've tried pulling all the hardware I can out other then the video card and the cpu, but still no go.

If I lower the clock speed down to say 150mhz from 166, then the problem disappears.

Ideas?

you prolly just need to buy a new board for it. i cant think of any other fix but maybe somebody else can help you. I suggest buying an Nforce2 chipset and a good mobo like a DFI Lanprty or a shuttle or whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom