ATI's X1000 bound for AGP market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
An extension of hope for we who are bound by our AGP ports.

GeCube launches X1300 and X1600 for AGP

ALTHOUGH BOTH Nvidia and ATI are reluctant to openly speak about sales of graphics cards that fit into an AGP slot - the sad fact is that both companies don't publicly care about massive majority of their GPU sales. The reason why is a very simple one: they don't want to spend time and money on developing their high-end products for the AGP slot, so their spinner machine has to throttle on "idle" or "defensive" when it comes to the user-beloved, almost nine-year old slot...

Both X1300 and X1600 use very similar PCB, so GeCube slapped two GPU's on the very same AGP PCB and shipped them out. The simple named GC-RX1600PGA2-D3 is actually an RV530 based product, clocked at 500MHz for GPU core, while GC-RX1300GA2-D3 is an RV515LE based product, with the core running at 450MHz. Both boards come with 256MB of same DDR-II memory, but with different clocks on each board.

The X1600 product features two DVI outputs, while X1300 comes in more of a classical D-Sub+DVI combo. Also, X1600 core is being cooled by a fan and a copper heatsink, X1300 is cooled by a smaller fan&aluminium heatsink combo. Since these 90nano chips suck more power than measily 35W that AGP slot can provide, we have seen "Return of The Molex" in not so hip-hop version.

GeCubeAGP.jpg

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28456

All it takes is someone willing to take the time... and they'll make boocudles of money with it.

Excellent stuff........ I could only wish NVIDIA did the same with the GeForce7 series, but I guess since much of the high-end market has shifted to PCI-E it may not make much business sense to design a whole new card for a small market.

Oh well, I still refuse to migrate to LGA775/PCI-E even after being advised to. :p

Hmm, now when people need to upgrade their AGP PC's, the X1600 is a good idea for a midrange product. but then again, the X1600 is quicker than the 6600GT, but slower than the vanilla 6800, and i doubt that the 6800GS will be released in AGP.

how long ago? thats really uncommon of Nvidia nowadays to say their goign to release somethign and not do a hard release the same day.

Although that's a good idea to release it on AGP, I think I am gonna wait to upgrade again. It is tempting though :D

It is inevitable that AGP will die, so I decided that I am not gonna do anymore vid card upgrades until I can afford to make the switch to PCI-E (which would include a new mobo and vid card). Thats just me though.

I can see how these cards are gonna sell really good, just because, it caters to a pretty big market: Anyone with an AGP slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom