ATI video card trouble, big trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blankcanvas

Baseband Member
I had a ATI Rage 128 Pro in my new computer (the one I built) and it worked good, but everytime i'd log in i'd get the windows, "This program needs to be shut down" error, so i'd click ok. I could still change my display settings, etc etc so I didnt really care about the error.

One night I decided to fix the error though, I downloaded the drivers for the card from ATI's site and installed them and the software, I was playing with the software when I *accidently* changed a setting andmy screen went black. My monitor (15inch NEC lcd monitor) kept flashing something how it couldnt display that rate or whatever.

So I took that card out, and tried a diffrent card, it would show my computer booting up but when it would switch to my log in screen it would freeze the picture on the screen. (I could still log in, then shut my computer off from the start menu without seeing anything though) so I took that out and just used my motherboard's montior input for now. It really sucks.

How can I go back to using a video card? I tried uninstalling the software/drivers but it wont let me!

What card should I use btw, the rage128 pro (32mb card) or the ATI Radeon 64mb card? I know its a stupid question, but performance wise which one is better?

You changed the refresh rate to something the card couldn't handle? Is that what your saying?.. Or do you not know what went wrong?

I changed the refresh rate to something my monitor couldnt display, but I dont know how to re-do that. I tried opening the software for the card, but I cant unless the card is in my computer. If it is in my computer, I cant see anything....

zerozero said:
reboot your computer in safe mode and undo your change from there.

I have an ATI 128 rage pro/tv out. This happened to me also when it was set to too high a screen resolution for my Samtron ( by my 8 year old :( ) I redownloaded the drivers once I was in safe mode and re-installed.

I tried that!

I restarted in safe mode and reinstalled the drivers, but I got an error saying that it couldnt install them because I have no hardware for them or something along those lines.

So... what can I do? I cant install the ATI drivers unless a put in the ATI card that doesnt even work because I accidently changed some settings, so am I screwed or what?

Again, reboot in safe mode.... Go into had remove programs and delete your ATI drivers from there. Then, reboot your computer and after the auto detect, reinstall your drivers

1st off put the Rage pro back in .Uninstall The Software in Safe mode. Each time you reboot , boot into safe mode. I had the same problem where it wouldnt let me reinstall the card so in device manager i had to remove the device then reboot .When windows tries to reinstall the card dont allow it to_Once your fully booted make sure all the old drivers are gone.
I would use Driver Cleaner 2 to remove any remaining Video Card drivers reboot when promted .When your sure there gone then install the new drivers .

The thing is, it WONT let me uninstall the drivers for the card, and I CANT put the video card in considering one of them I changed settings for (that I cant redo) and the other one freezes my display at boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom