ATI Radeon HD 4900 Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
ATI Radeon HD 4900 Rumors

Hardware-Infos has some insider information regarding the next GPUs from ATI. March is apparently the month where we'll see RV740 and RV790 chips surface and their source says the RV790 will be the HD 4900. No specs yet unfortunately.

There is still silence about the amount of stream processors. But we can assure that there will be more than with the RV770, so that the RV790 will not just be a half-hearted frequency update.

why dont they just increase the speed/quality? of their sp's rather than just adding more.

i understand the heat issue, but cant they find a fix for this?

im waiting for thr 5800 series thx. I'm happy with my HD 3870 x2 until i ran Crysis and Crysis Warhead and got worse average fps in Crysis and a little worse in Crysis Warhead.

uhh..........wtf? I had the 5000+ BE @ 3.3GHz.

Warhead was better optimised more efficiency it should of got slightly better frame rates

nope lol. Just stable 18-20 fps even with explosions. I know wierd huh? I had higher fps then before.

also, in Crysis, i get this "HUD/Grenade_detect" error n maybe a few others too. Crysis Warhead i do not.

why dont they just increase the speed/quality? of their sp's rather than just adding more.
They're doing that too (increasing clocks)
i understand the heat issue, but cant they find a fix for this?
Well unless they can discover magic, they'll have to use the old fashioned way of using die shrinks, improving transistors, etc. And that takes time.
RV670 used fewer transistors, but a lot of that was because of going to a 256-bit bus. RV770 already uses a 256-bit bus, so they're not likely to be able to reduce transistor count much. As GPU's get faster, they will need more bandwidth, and they can't cripple the bus speed too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom