Ati Radeon 9800 pro problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

metallic

Beta member
I've been having this same problem for a while now I'm not sure how to resolve it. Everytime I try to play any game on a fresh boot my computer either displays a VPU recover message, goes to a black screen, or it sometimes restarts. When I restart my computer and start the game up, it works perfectly fine. I have an Ati Radeon 9800 Pro and I didn't have this problem until I bought one about a month ago.

The rest of my specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus v1.0 motherboard
512 Mb RAM
420 W Power Supply
Catalyst 4.10 drivers
Windows XP Professional SP2

can you try re-installing the latest catalyst drivers, also clean for spyware/trogans, do you have anything running in the background that could be interfering with your card. Go into msconfig and look at all the startup processes and if any of them is suspicious.

I had a similar problem, I have a saphire 9800pro, I also had the vpu recovery problems. I tried every one of ati's catalyst drivers from 4.1 to 4.10, I seemed to have problems with them all. So i tired the omega drivers. If you dont have success with ati try the omega ones. I havent realy had any problems with them.

omega drivers are the same friggen driver as the ATI!

When will people learn this, it is the same driver, with different default settings.:grind:

Edit: As for help on the issue, make sure your mobo has the correct chipset drivers installed. I'm not a big fan of Soyo motherboards. I'd rather spend 100$ instead of 50$ on a mobo, but have it friggen work later on.

maybe VPU is disabled in the omega drivers...ya think of that?

theres a thousand reasons why it could happen. not limited to the drivers themselves.

I had the same problems. You can try a few things, make sure your aperture settings in your BIOS match your memory on your vid card. Second, try turning "fast writes" off in your BIOS. Last, you could try changing your AGP settings to 4x from 8x (assuming you can). People are going to whine about this, but you won't much of a performance loss. You probably won't notice, I didn't. You would only really notice if you had a really high end system. Also, you could try opening the Catylist Control Center software and going to the Smartgart settings and making sure your system settings match your vid card settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom