Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
ATI Multi VPU will need an external connector

Cards have to be connected

By Fuad Abazovic: Monday 16 May 2005, 11:38
WE NOW HAVE confirmation that ATI will need an external connector in order to make its Multi VPU work. ATI tried to avoid using an internal connector but it ended up with an external one as you will have to connect the cards, after all.

If you work with two cards, card number two has to get information from the first card before it displays the final image.

However, ATI decided to use an external connector simple because it didn't want to release new series of Multi VPU capable cards powered with an internal connector. If it had done that, it would have ended up upsetting many customers who bought X800 or X850 cards. So ATI views this as an easy move for its customers to dual cards and can offer it to every single X800 and X850 card owner. A smart move for upgrade market.

It will be interesting to see the connector live but the good news is that owners of X800 and X850 cards will be able to buy one more card and to have multi VPU up and running. Otherwise ATI would be caught in the cross fire between Multi VPU wannabes and future dual card users.

One thing is certain, ATI is definitely entering this market very aggressively as it wants a hefty piece of Nvidia's SLI cake. There is some money to be earned and ATI wants to be there.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23265

I wonder if "aggressively" will mean price cuts?

stupid ass ATI....I woulda become an ATI fanboy if the idiots would have developed a good single card solution or at the most a dual GPU, but noooooo they gottow follow nvidia and make their own SLI ripoff....damned morons

SLI will fade out, just like it has done in the past... It's a too extravagent expense to be practical. We'll see how it goes when the new gen of cards come out later this year. Hopefully it'll be a case of a single GPU card whooping SLI'd dual-cored cards :). Otherwise my next upgrade will mean I won't be able to afford to eat for a month...

who needs food when you have crisp graphics!?! Don't those feed your hunger enough! :p

DoomUK said:
Otherwise my next upgrade will mean I won't be able to afford to eat for a month...

You can live 30 days without food, just hope it's ntoa 31 day month

And nubius, you can become an SiS fanboy or Intel Intergrated fanboy, take your pick

Doubt SLI/MVR will fade, now that both companies have entered the fray it becomes a competetion and neither will back out because now they are thinking "OMG rather than make one really good card we must worry about the other guys crushing that with two video cards that cost hundreds more anyways!!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom