ATI AIW RADEON 9000 PRO vs. ATI AIW RADEON 9600 Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicked15

Baseband Member
There are obvious differences between the two cards, but I'm trying to decide what I really need. I'm not THAT much of a gamer but I've spent years with a mediocre system that always ran games slow, so I would like to play basic cool games without a problem. My biggest concern with the video card is that I can watch high quality movies, DVD's, DVD-rips, DivX...etc. without a problem of slowness. I also like to watch tv-shows, play around with digital pics...
The question is, do I need to spend the 171 on the 128 mb video card? Or will 64 mb be enough.

Here are my specs:

Intel "D865PERLL" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail
Samsung Black 52X32X52X16 DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive, Model SM-352NENB, OEM
Western Digital Special Edition 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD1200JB, OEM Drive Only
ANTEC Black Performance Series II SOHO File Server Tower ATX Case with 400W Power Supply, Model "SX1040BII"

If I were you, I would go with the 9600. Since you had a slow system you may not be that much of a gamer, but if you're like me, when you see what a newer system can put out, your interest in gaming will increase. That is why you want a halfway decent graphics card.

Okay well in that case, do you think this will do, or would u recommend that 9600XT instead?

The 9600XT would be better, but do what you want to do. If I had a say, I would recommend a top-of-the-line X800, but I know that is overkill for what you do, so yeah, get the 9600XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom