Ati 9600xt - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2004, 10:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Ati 9600xt

Hey guys what do you think about the 9600XT 128mb? Right now I have a Nvidia Geforce Fx5200... UGh... i dont even like talking about it... well, anyways, i was going to think about buying the 9600XT. I play DOOM 3 and Half Life, doom 3 runs on low to medium quality with my 128Mb 5200Fx card. My friend just got a 9600 and says he can run it no problems on high graphics, He says ultra high runs, but just a LITTLE lag when a few monstors or when opening doors. Thanks for the feedback.

512MB DDR SDRAM 2700(SOON TO BE 768 or 1GB?) by the way what do u think would be better for gaming, i mean i know that 1gb is what you all are going to say, but for the price, would i really notice a big diff. b/t the 768 and 1gb for gaming, or overall computer performance?
128MB NVIDIA GEFORCE FX 5200(ugh...)
80GB 7200RPM HDD.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via AIM to AND_YOU_ARE Send a message via Yahoo to AND_YOU_ARE

A radeon 9800 pro is better for the same price. Look into that card. Just make sure you have a good psu.

Member of the right wing conspiracy theory.

X-Fire: andyouare1
AIM: plantagenet51

Ars Technica

Silent PC Review

Xtreme Systems
Old 11-30-2004, 02:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

yeah going from 5200 to the 9600XT isn't really that big of a leap, it's like going to the FX 5700, I ran Doom3 on my machine with 256mb of PC2700 RAM compared to an AMD64 system I built for a guy with 1gb of high performance RAM and the 9600XT 256mb card, it barely ran doom3 better than my system.

Your friend by the way, probably doesn't have an eye for smooth graphics, as I know from experience with two similar cards that yeah it'll play on High Quality, but you'll still experience lag with it when a bunch of demons come near by, not only that but more than likely you'd have to keep the resolution at 800x600 and with no AA and no AF.

Since that card is $150 you'd be better off waiting a few weeks for the 6600GT which will be $199 and will completely blow away the 9600XT and even 9800Pro as although the 9800Pro was quite the damn good card for a freaking really long time, it's time is about up, and you'd be better off with something like the 6600GT as it's GPU has more advanced instructions abilities like Pixel Shader 3.0 just as one note, and also I believe the previous generation from ATI only supported DX8.1 so then you're hindering the effects that DX9 utilizes.
Closed Thread