Athlon XP or Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ice9 said:
So if i am building a computer should I get a 64 3200 and not have dual channel or a xp 3200 and have dual channel memory?

Well, you could get the XP 3200+ ($180), but could save your money and get a XP 2800+ ($100) as they both don't differ in speed and performance that much.

slvrstang said:
i'm thinkin of a building a mid/high end gaming system for my girlfreind. She *wants* it to be around ~500 but that can be fixed. So what do you think? Athlon XP 3200+(2.2Ghz) 400mhz FSB or Athlon 64 3000+(2.0Ghz)

i was thinking of sticking with the socket A because socket 754's dead already and doesn't support dual channel memory. I figure if she wants a AMD 64 then i might as well get the 3500+(socket 939)

any suggestions?

I'd go for the 64bit-cpu. You said the 754 will be out of production soon...but you're wrong...by the beginning of 2005 socket A cpu's will no longer be in production...

It's not dual or single channel that makes the cpu type. For the low-end market single channelled cpu's/sockets would be a good replacement for the Duron family(i hope they drop the cache too >-) )

Btw i don't know what your gf is going to do with the system but unless she's going to encode/decode DVD/divx or play games like Far Cry, HL2 or Doom3 I doubt there's reason for a 3xxx+ cpu anyway...

Save the money and buy a 2500+ barton for her, since those bastards can be overclocked without adding extra cooling... ur sure that if it ain't broken it'll last for a year or 2-3 especially if gaming ain't the thing she's going to do with it....

And don't tell me you need 3ghz for MSN :p

Socket 754 is being replaced by Socket 939 because of many reasons aim to the enthusiast. AMD don't plan on going any further with s754 and left it at 3400+. While s939 will go on after 3500+.

ur sayin 754 is gonna be dead... well yea, people with alot of money and can afford the new shit thats gonna come out will prolly buy it.. but u cant say K8V Deluxe socket 754 mobo with an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ is gonna be horrible... no it wont.. cuz it can handle up to 3GB of RAM and that is fillin up all 3 of its slots, that means u can have 3GB PC3200 RAM.. if that doesnt kick ass, then what does (for the price after all the new extreme parts come onto market)... i mean yea, if money wasnt a thing in life, the new market parts that are gonna come out would be nice n easy to get.. but ummm, whenever new parts come out they cost out the ass.. and technology today, the parts are gettin insane.. cuz now all the 64 bit stuff is comin out... and everyone is waitin on the 64 bit OS to come out..

thats one of the best things about the 64bit, u can use it with standard windows, although the i think the maximum memory for windows XP is 2Gb. (correct me if im wrong) the new 64bit windows will have a memory bandwidth of 16Gb not that there will be mobos that will be able to support 16Gb of RAM.

the Athlon 64 3500+ is a very powerful CPU now, I'm planning to get one in my next PC, along with an X800 Pro/XT I will get one as soon as I earn $3000 aus - unless the 3800+'s drop dramatically in price

I figured it would take me from 6 months to 1 year to earn it, and by then I can get a PCI Express mobo and X800, and possibly DDR2 if it becomes better than it is currently

anyway I suggest you ask her whether she'd pay more for a s939 3500+ - if not, the Barton 3200+ is still a very good CPU regardless that it cannot process 64-bit

it seems like a bunch of u all have ur parents buyin u a bunch of parts... my parents just bought this computer that can be read in my Signature, the one im usin now... and i have to pay with my money to upgrade it.. so the people that have their parents that will just buy u parts all the time... that kicks major ass, but sucks for people like me.. and i wish i wasnt lazy (i need to find a job)!! lol

Re: Re: Athlon XP or Athlon 64

Rey_Nemaattori said:
I'd go for the 64bit-cpu. You said the 754 will be out of production soon...but you're wrong...by the beginning of 2005 socket A cpu's will no longer be in production...

It's not dual or single channel that makes the cpu type. For the low-end market single channelled cpu's/sockets would be a good replacement for the Duron family(i hope they drop the cache too >-) )

Btw i don't know what your gf is going to do with the system but unless she's going to encode/decode DVD/divx or play games like Far Cry, HL2 or Doom3 I doubt there's reason for a 3xxx+ cpu anyway...

Save the money and buy a 2500+ barton for her, since those bastards can be overclocked without adding extra cooling... ur sure that if it ain't broken it'll last for a year or 2-3 especially if gaming ain't the thing she's going to do with it....

And don't tell me you need 3ghz for MSN :p

No i am not wrong Socket 754 will no longer be used past the 3400+ so when newer better processors come out in 2-3 years they will only fit in 939 boards.

And if you read my post i said she wants a GAMING mid/high end system. And she will be playing doom3 hl2 and far cry

BLuEnGrEEnPC said:
it seems like a bunch of u all have ur parents buyin u a bunch of parts... my parents just bought this computer that can be read in my Signature, the one im usin now... and i have to pay with my money to upgrade it.. so the people that have their parents that will just buy u parts all the time... that kicks major ass, but sucks for people like me.. and i wish i wasnt lazy (i need to find a job)!! lol
actually I'm paying for my future comp myself, I earn my money working at a Mcdonalds

it's not how much you get, but how much you save

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom