Athlon FX or Dual Opteron 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiberius

Solid State Member
I need the help of the experts (which means you) with my dillemma.
I am putting together my version of the ulitmate gaming machine and I am wondering about processers. I have a well to do budget and I am thinking about the Athlon FX, but the MSI motherboard that I am looking at also supports dual Opteron chips. My question is when it comes to gaming, video editing and other college essiential tasks, which would perform better for my desktop computer?

Don't waste your money on Dual processors if you are building a gaming machine. The reason for this is that most of the popular games out there are not set up for multithreading. You will also need an OS that supports dual processors. That means you cant use Win98. The Athlon FX teamed with a decent Video card will make an awesome gaming machine.

Several years ago I set out to do the same thing. This was when the first Celeron 300A's came out I used an ABIT BP6 and dual Celerons overclocked to 550 MHz. This was when most people had 300 or 400 MHz machines. Imagine my surpise when my Win2k Task manager only showed one processor running at any one time. True, it would switch off processors but when one processor was at 100%, the other one was at zero.

So with 99% of the games out there you will see no benefit with two processors.

-Target

ok this is my opinion:
the FX is over $1200 and the 3400 at about $600 (aussie dollars) but the 3400 performs almost as good; plus a lot more motherboards support it now. I would go with a 3400. Also, from what ive heard the Athlon 64 3400 still perform better than the P4 3.2GHZ even at 32 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom