Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace No-Money

In Runtime
Which should I upgrade to

Athlon 754skt 3700+

or

Athlon 939skt 3500+

They are both about same price on eBay but one has bigger Hypertransport and dual channel..... the other, twice the cache

So far benchmarks say 3700+

socket 939 is the way to go

754 is outdated already

also, a 3500 is already enough

go with a Venice 3500

edit: why the hell are you buying off ebay? aren't they expensive?

both of them have the same hyper transport, and the addition 512mb cache doesn't really matter THAT much

I also recommend thje venice 3500. The only reason y you owuld need more cach is if you extensively do rendering 3d stuff to even be able to tell much of a difference.

The 3500+ will oc to a 3700 or even higher.
the 3500+ is 90nm, the 3700 is 130nm
they both support hyper transport.

He's suggesting that the 3700+ has the slower hypertransport speed (800MHz), not whether one or the other doesn't have it. ;)

Get a 3200+ Venice and you'll be set for at LEAST a year.

i want to keep my leadtek 6600gt AGP and not go PCI ex

What does Venice have over the Winchester anyways?

It just runs with less voltage and costs like +$30

Not too much difference really from first appearances, the Venice boast an improved memory controller and SSE3 instructions which edge out the previous cores slightly in benchmarks.

The true advantage of the Venice is its ability to sustain high clock frequencies, often on less voltage, than its previous cores. The previous 90nm technology had a bit of a bug which kept it reduced to a certain speed, hence why you don't see any 4000+ or FX-55 Winchesters. The Venice core corrected this problem and can operate at those speeds that were beyond the Winnies reach.

Venices can have much higher overclocks, and like gaara said, it has the SSE3 instruction set and a better memory controller
the memory controller can now run 2 sticks of RAM with different sizes, and is not so fussy about some types

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom