• f

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkknight206

Baseband Member
I am currently looking around for components to build a new computer for college. I probably wont be buying anything for another year, however. I was looking at buying an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ processor becuse I've heard good things about it.

However, I have been looking around and I havent seen any 64 bit applications and the only 64-bit OS (Windows XP 64-bit Edition) is available only if you buy the Intel Itanium Computer from HP.

I was wondering if it was worth it to go ahead and buy the Athlon 64 or should I just stick with a normal Athlon XP.

The reason I'm asking this is becuse I dont think theres a point to buying a processor that wont even work to it's full capability when its more expensive.

Also, does anyone know when XP 64-Bit edition comes out for consumers to buy?

newegg.com Athlon64 3400+ price: $416.00
newegg.com Athlon XP 3200+ price: $187.00

(The reason i put only the 3200+ price is becuse AMD doesnt make a higher XP processor)

hmm...well it depends on ur budget... but if u can fit the 64 bit CPU in.. then its worth it.. u wont have to upgrade for awhile... and it performs better.. and u will be able to wait longer than a year prolly with the 64 bit CPU.. unless ur a HUGE gamer/ video editor and all that... then ull end up upgradin when new stuff comes out on shelves... but like i said, if u can afford to fit it in ur budget, the 64 bit CPU is worth it!! ull just need a socket 754 motherboard to go with the 64 3400+.. the K8V Deluxe s754 works perfectly ( motherboard )

I would say to definitely get the 3200XP. There's no point in getting a 64 yet because there's no software. The stuff that does come out in the next couple of years that's 64 bit will also have 32 bit versions, it's not like they're just going to say F**K all of you 32 bit people. And in a few years when most of the stuff is 64 bit, there'll be better 64 bit stuff out that you'll want anyway. You might as well save the money for now until you really need to spend it. But that's all just my opinion.

Hey, Thanks and same to you (compy)! Anyways, I heard that Win XP 64-bit doesnt support media (not even WinMediaPlayer) and that XP 64 is meant for mostly servers and workstations not home PCs. So is there really any point in waiting for it?

Also, BLuEnGrEEnPC, how is the 64 better? Are there any benchmarks you can show me or are you just saying it cause it costs more?

damn... that sucks, well they will come out with more than 1 64bit OS.. like they did b4.. XP home edition.. XP Professional.. and some other XP work somethin or rather.. i dunno, but they will make a 64-bit OS that will be made for home PCs

does anyone have a AMD Athlon 64 3400+ they are tryin ta sell.. cuz i need one... or a 160GB Cache 8MB 7200RPM or bigger HD.. or a Radeon 9800XT 256MB graphics card.. or a DVD-RW drive... lol if so, please get al me ASAP!!! and i can take to u trade parts n cash or anything lol.. thanks

When? Anytime in the near future? I mean blackwrx has a point. By the time I really need a 64 will they already have a better processor out?

Also, Don't steal my thread, f**ker. This isnt a WTB thread. I'm tryin to gain info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom