Athlon 64 FSB and Mobo FSB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprooty

Daemon Poster
Hey,

ok my friend is going to build a PC and he dosnt know much.. i know a fair bit about PC but im not into the Athlon 64 FSB speeds and all so we need some help.

He planing to get

------------------------------------------------------
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9, nForce4-4X, S939, 800FSB, DDR400, PCI-Ex, GigLAN, SATA, ATX

AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ S939

GeIL High Performance Dual Channel 2x 512MB DDR400

SeaGate 120 gig 7200rpm SATA

Gainward 6600GT Golden Sample PCIE 128Mb DDR3-2ns, 540MHz/1050MHz, Dual
DVI, VIVO

LG 16x DVD+R Burner Model GSA-4163B DUAL LAYER BLACK
---------------------------------------------------------

now he sent this to me too look at and im confused.. the S939 Athlon 64 +3200 runs at a FSB speed of 1600 but the board says 800FSB? (will the CPU run)?

my other frnd replyd with this:

The chip will run fine in a board that supports a lower FSP speed, it will even run at the same speed. I dont think you understand FSB properly, its the "go between" the CPU and other function extremely simply put, it shouldnt effect the performance unless you max it out. And with such a huge amount even 1/2 it wont be a problem if you just buy the original board.

another thing i think may be a problem is that do u need Regiesterd Ram for an Athlon 64 Board or not?

HTT (FSB) is 800 Mhz in 32-bit. HTT is equivalent to 1600 Mhz in 64-bit.

Socket 940 requires ECC RAM. Socket 754 and 939 do not.

ag3, this is unrelated, but what kind of temps are you getting on your CPU, motherboard, and video card? I ask because I see you've done quite a bit of overclocking with numerous cooling mods.

Athlon 64's should get a bit over 40 degrees in normal operating temps

the Athlon 64's, Sempron socket 754's and Opterons all are different to previous CPU's: they all have the memory controller on the CPU itself
the FSB is typically the transfer speed between CPU and memory controller. because the memory controller is on the CPU, the FSB is inside the CPU itself, and it has virtually direct access to memory. the MCC being on the CPU allows much higher transfer speeds than previous CPU's; and since the motherboard no-longer uses a FSB, they have given a name to the link between CPU and RAM: Hypertransport - or HTT for short. don't get it confused with HT (one T) which is HyperThreading, used in P4's

socket 754 typically has an 800MHZ to 1600MHZ HTT and doesn't support dual channel

socket 940 typically has a 1600HZ HTT and requires ECC RAM to run (ECC RAM being more stable, but slower, more expensive and harder to find)

socket 939 typically has a 1600MHZ to 2000MHZ HTT and supports dual channel and non-ECC RAM (although you can still use ECC RAM, but you generally wouldn't want to)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom