Athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
I am wanting to get more speed out of my PC, and I was wondering if it would really make a difference to go out and buy an Athlon 64 Chip. Currently I have a XP 2600+ Chip with an FSB of only 166 Mhz, which means that the 1 gig of PC 3200 I have is only running at 2700. I was looking at maybe a 2800+ or a 3000+, because I really don't have a lot of money to spend. Would it really make a difference to get a Athlon 64 Chip, or is really not worth the money?

this maynot answer your ?, but i was looking into sorta the same thing.

the old 64's like +3000, use socket 754, witch limits u to singel channel ram and +3700 speed(i think).

so i was looking at this 64bit Opteron.. Link witch usess socket 940, 1MB L2 cache, alowing for duel channel ram, and can be future upgraded to 64 FX.

the only down side i notice so far is the 940socket mother bourds are more expensive then the others. and im still looking into socket940... i dont know the performance difference between 939 and 940 yet, or if there is any downside to socket 940??

but if i find nothing rong with that socket, that opteron is prolly the best bang for your buck cpu, it will prolly perform better then a +3000 if used with duel channel ram(im guessing) and the mobo cost maybe worth it, cause of its upgrade potential

well it sort of depends on your needs. Obviously an AMD64 chip would be better long term, but if you dont have the money then its not worth it. There arent really any applications that utilise 64-bit. Until there are, theres not much point rushing out to get one (unless you have the cash handy). If you just want your ram running at 3200 speeds, you could try overclocking your chip to 200FSB and see how that goes? Of course, read up on it before you try it and get a really good cooling system happening.

Anyway hope some of this helped.

so i was looking at this 64bit Opteron.. Link witch uses socket 940, 1MB L2 cache, alowing for dual channel ram, and can be future upgraded to 64 FX.

The Opteron is a server CPU. yes they do support dual-channel RAM, but so do the socket 939 and the FX series (socket 940) only the socket 754 CPU's don't, that is one of the reasons that they are going to phase them into the new socket for normal Athlon XP's. The 939 socket is the best value for money 64bit CPU at the moment, because it supports dual channel RAM and they will be used for fair while still, if you are looking to buy into the 64bit market, go for a socket 939, because they will be much more upgradable in the future. 64bit is worth the upgrade, provided u get the 939.

you could try overclocking your chip to 200FSB and see how that goes?

a good idea, but i dont think the cpu will be able to clock that far, AMD's dont really like clocking, but they are generally fast enough not to need it :)

the Athlon 64 3000+ performs about as well as the Athlon XP 3200+
if you want to upgrade to an Athlon 64, don't get a socket 754 as they will be replaced, and in future, you will not be able to upgrade with your current motherboard

I suggest either stick with your 2600+ for a while unless you are willing to spend more for socket 940 or socket 939

apokalipse said:
if you want to upgrade to an Athlon 64, don't get a socket 754 as they will be replaced, and in future, you will not be able to upgrade with your current motherboard

I suggest either stick with your 2600+ for a while unless you are willing to spend more for socket 940 or socket 939

Yer this is what i would, but wait for the socket 939 3200+ and 3000+ to come out in the end of this year and will be cheaper than the socket 754 3200+ and 3000+ prices right now! Just wait! you will be glad you did!

apokalipse said:

The Athlon 64 3000+ performs much faster than the Athlon XP 3200+ when running in 32-bit.

Comparing the Athlon 64 3000+ to the XP 3200+ when running in 64-bit... Forget it. Uncomparible.

P.S.: Socket 940 sucks and it requires ECC.

Looking at the Socket 939's on Newegg amoung other places, they are still quite expensive. So I think I will take your advice and wait. Hopefully the price will drop.

754 is still going to be around for a while. It is well worth upgrading to it now as when running in 64-bit, the performance jump is going to be BIG. They are really inexpensive also.

Socket 940 sucks and it requires ECC
thx for the info, i notice all the bourds i saw had that, but wasnt shur it it was just the bourd type or specifically the socket.

socket 939 3200+ and 3000+ come out in the end of this year
thx also, i wasnt shur if thy were going to make the slowest 64's in socket 939.

justa waiting game now.

hopfully the 6800 standard, will also drop price around that same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom