Athlon 3200 and 64 chips on North Bridge Single Socket A's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ropponmatsu

Baseband Member
Athlon 3200 and 64 chips on Single Socket A's?

I'm currently running a XP 2400 on an M7VIW MB, which is Biostar. It supports Single Socket-A running at 200/266 MHz Front Side Bus frequency...

Just wondering if I can run a 3000+ (better) or 64 chip, I'm afraid that anything higher my MB won't support it or just runs at a higher frequency, I've had trouble finding the specifics via google etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated in that I really feel in need of upgrading to a faster CPU, I may even buy a new MB if I have too, any suggestions are also appreciated!

u cant upgrade on that mother bourd... well u could, but it would be pointless, cause that mobo is limited to 266 FSB.
------------------------------------------------------------
athlon 64's use socket...
754 - single channel ram
939 - allows duel channel ram
------------------------------------------------------
right know only the newer more expensive 64's are avalible for socket 939. but amd is coming out with all version of the 64 for socket 939 in the near future.

if u dont care about duel channel ram, the socket 754's are perfectly decent. but if your like me, and use your comp for gaming and other media, and wont to get the biggest bang for your buck, u may wont to wait till the end of this year for the 64 +3200 939's . witch is my plan.

it was also discussed in this thread ...Link incase u didnt already c it.

slightly off topic, but does anyone know if there is even a point to buying a socket 754 motherboard?? It seems that AMD are going all over the place...3 socket sets for there 64-bit lines seems a bit strange to me. Are they going to be sticking to 939's for now on?

also - is there a particular reason why socket 754 boards dont have dual channel ram? or is it just that none of the vendors have bothered putting it on such a short lived socket??

becasue the socket 754 cpu's don't suport dual chanel ram so why put it on the board if it won't ever be used.

you also forgot 940=ECC dual chanel ram

i think that the 939 will turn out to be the most productive in the future.

compy said:
becasue the socket 754 cpu's don't suport dual chanel ram so why put it on the board if it won't ever be used.

you also forgot 940=ECC dual chanel ram

i think that the 939 will turn out to be the most productive in the future.

Thats right :D

Edit: if you wait to the end of this year, socket 939 cpus: 3200+ and 3000+ well be coming out and cheaper than the socket 754 cpus right now!

really? what about 3400? because i'm thinking of geting the 3500, well i know i am but now i may wait, i don't know. lol.

So your saying I can go ahead and buy a new CPU but it will be limited to a FBS of 266? But I can suffer with that until I can get a new MB?

I'll more then likely end up saving up and buying a brand new CPU and MB at the same time...

yeah, that's what i would do, how much longer is it going to be for you, untill you get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom