ATA/133 Motherboards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntRam

Solid State Member
I have an Ultra ATA/133 80 gig hard drive. I want to buy a new board but I know it has to have ATA/133 on it. My question is, is an ATA hard drive compatible with a DMA board? If not does anyone know of any good AMD XP boards with ATA/133 built in?

Thanks

You don't need to have ATA133 on a board for the Hard drive to work. Any ATA will see and read the drive. The numbers are just for speed. DMA? I think you might be missunderstanding the board component names....
What is DMA to you?

Ok, if a board says it has UDMA 133/100/66, does that mean it can read ATA/133? I know ATA and DMA are different, I just want to know if ATA is compatible.
Example, the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 says it has UDMA IDE ports, but doesn't say anything about ATA. How can I tell if the board supports ATA?

You are fine... UDMA IDE 133/100/66 are what you are looking for. It's all in the naming that the company does...

Ah, ok I get it...thanks. I guess Maxtor calls it ATA and other companies call it DMA. Makes sence now.

no thats incorrect, UDMA and ATA are not manufacturer specific naming conventions. they all use this to describe IDE device tranfer rates and motherboard IDE support. they are both Interface types.

UDMA means ultra direct memory access (UDMA) interface. this is used to rate what the IDE controllers support on the motherboard.

ATA is the rating given to IDE devices like hard disks to tell you what data tranfers speed it supports.

these are maximum speeds, it does not mean they always tranfer at this rate all the time.

UDMA 133/ 100/ 66/ 33 would mean that the motherboard IDE controller supports IDE devices with these data transfer rates: 133MB per second, 100MB per second, 66MB per second, and 33megabytes per second. MB=megabytes.

so ATA 133/100/66/33 is the same thing except that tells you what the IDE device supports. in your case the IDE device is a hard disk.

what you do is match up what the motherboard supports to what the IDE device supports. if your hard disk is ATA133 but you only have a motherboard that supports UDMA100 than your hard disk will slow down to ATA100.

the reason they say 133/100/66/33 means that it can run at any of those rated speeds if they must. they will run at the maximum supported tranfer speed by default. actually they do it all automatically by default.

yes there is a big difference in the different interfaces. given the same hard disk manufacturer and cache buffer, a ata133 will run significantly faster than an ata100 hard disk.

Thank you so much for the helpful information. I'm glad someone finally helped me understand this. So this means I CAN use an ATA/133 HD with a UDMA 133 IDE motherboard, correct?

yes that is correct. an ATA133 capable HD with a UDMA133 capable motherboard means your hard drive will be able to run at the full 133MB per minute data transfer speed.

even if your motherbaord only supported udma100 that would simply mean your ata133 hard disk would slow down to ata100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom