Asus P4R800-V / -VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ô¿ô

Solid State Member
Ok, here goes. I'm not the best writer, nor am I the best at organizing data, but I wanted to start this thread not only because I'm purchaceing one of these boards, but also because I really think this is the direction home PC's and home PC MotherBoards is going.

I originaly tried to post this message to someone else, but it was too long, so I'll post it here for starters.

We've got just about the same idea. I've got a P4R800-V Deluxe comming, and a second Samsung SP1614N (160 gig 7,200 RPM 8 meg cache UDMA-133) I'm going to run RAID 0 on the EIDE side.

The CPU I've got is only a 2.4 Ghz Celeron... same reasoning as you I guess, more or less... I'm waiting for the extreme edition chips to come WAY down in price.

I haven't even received the board yet, as I'm waiting on funds to become available, (long story,) but I'm already stoked about what this board can do. I don't even HAVE Windows XP, and can't afford the retail upgrade from 98SE.... More on that later.

Unfortunately, Asus claims that this board will only support Win ME, 2000 and XP. :/ I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I'm tempted to start a thread here about this system build, and attempt to run Windows 98SE.

This board is a great copromise between price, performance, upgradeability, and connectivity! Lots of people using them in conjunction with their television and sound systems.

I'm assuming, given the comment about the 9100IGP chipset, "sucking monkey nuts," that you are using it for gaming as well. I game a bit, but not real hardcore, so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit in that areana to save at LEAST $100.

Aside from that though, I'd really like to know your impressions of the board, and what features you've used. (IE SATA RAID, EIDE RAID, S-video or composite output, Firewire ect.)

Also I'm curious to know if the card you bought will let you use the onboard graphics chipset to run a second monitor. (Or two additional monitors, using the ATI branded surround view capabilities. I forget the exact name of this feature.)

It might be interesting to start a thread looking at each of our experiances with this board, as I'm sure we're not the only two with some intimate knowledge of it. (I downloaded the manual from Asus a bit ago, and have pretty much read it through as, finding pre-service support on such a board is just about impossible.)

Asus claims to support P4 & Celeron processors with 258 or 512 adn above onboard cache, BTW, adn I've been assured by my memory and CPU supplier that the whimpy likke 128 K cache celeron CPU I have will run just fine, as well as P4's with 1 or 2 megs on-die cache.

Hope you're enjoying and very satisfied with your rig now with that new card. I look forward to hearing from ya.

ô¿ô (The Face.)

Ok, so now I put it out to ALL of you....... what are YOUR experiances with this board? I didn't know if this was the right section for such a post. If not, mods please help a virgin out, adn move it to the right fourm. :)

Face

I put this very plain and simple...I HATE IT!

It gives me nothing but troubles, ex:incompatibility, crashes etc.

Im getting an Abit IC7 Max III in replacement of this.

But most people dont think its that bad, I think its just me with the frikkin troubles.

Thanks for your reply Icedragon. Could you elaborate a bit on what your running, and where the issues lay?

What PSU?
What CPU?
What memory?
What OS?

There are a couple undocumented issues as I understand it. (WD drives being one, but there's a simple jumper setting work-around. I beleive you just remove the "Master," jumper all together, but don't quote me on that, call Asus if that's the issue.)

ô¿ô

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom