I am looking for help concerning random shutdowns and other problems with the ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard and the AMP Athlon XP 3200+. Please post any suggestions you may have to solve the problems. My guess is they are all related to a common problem.
1. The verbal POST sometimes reports: "System failed due to CPU over clocking." System still starts anyway.
2. The verbal POST sometimes reports twice: System completed power on self test.
3. The verbal POST sometimes reports nothing (silent).
4. The CPU sometimes is shown (in the WinXP hardware Properties window) at something other than a Athlon XP 3200+, for example a 2500+.
5. Random system Restarts occur, usually at the instant of pressing a key on the keyboard or moving/clicking the mouse.
6. Random freezing of program, then the Microsoft Error Reporting process starts and program is shut down.
7. Display black-outs of 1 or 2 seconds while working in a window that is not Maximized.
8. Sometimes a jittery display while In Internet Explorer and multiple windows open. Problem is made worse while typing or moving mouse.
9. Sometimes the ATI card is referenced in the Microsoft Error Reporting routine when a problem happens at the Desktop and no program windows open.
10. Sometimes the POST displayed a request to rebuild the RAID set.
I am able to open 10 Word docs, 10 Excel files, 20 PDFs, multiple Internet Explorer windows, AOL, the Asus Probe, Windows Media Player, ACDSee and the Task Manager without a problem of running out of RAM or forcing an overload to shut down or freeze the system. The shutdowns happen at random, but not while the system is idle. Keyboard and mouse input must be occurring around the time of a shutdown.
Each manufacturer: Asus, AMD and Kingston indicate the product models used are compatible or recommended for eachother.
I have two identical systems with the same problems. I have been in contact with 2 other users of same mobo/CPU that are having similar shutdown problems.
Let me know what problems and solutions you may have found with this mobo.
System info, this is what Asus wants to know to submit a Help request.
Mobo: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Ser. No. 41MM444481
BIOS: Rev 1008 (and tried Rev 1010)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+
CPU Fan & Sink: Vantec Aeroflow VA4-C7040
RAM: Kingston 3 x 512mb PC3200 CL3 Model # KVR400X64C3A/512 (Value RAM junk )
Power Supply: Vantec Stealth 420w (+3.3V=26A, +5V=42A, +12V=18A, -12V=1.0A, -5V=0.8A, +5VSB=2.5A) Max Combined Wattage=420W, Peak Wattage=520W
Case: Antec P160 with 1 fan.
Primary IDE HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 160gb Ultra ATA/133
Other IDE: Memorex CDROM, Plextor DVD R/W
SATA Drives: RAID 1: 2 x MaxtorDiamondMax Plus 200gb SATA
FDD: Sony 1.44mb
AGP Slot: ATI Radeon 9600XT
PCI Slot 3: Belkin 5 port USB Card F5U220
Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech Access Cordless Keyboard & Logitech Mouseman Optical Cordless connects to PS2 Mouse port and one USB port.
ASUS Probe Readings:
CPU Temp: 42C
Mobo Temp: 26C
CPU Fan Speed: 5113 rpm
Power Fan Speed: no reading (3 fans are operational)
Chassis Fan Speed: no reading (1 fan is operational)
+12V: 12.352 to 12.416
+3.3V: 3.376 to 3.392
Vcore: 1.68 to 1.696
Default BIOS and Setup. No user changes.
Windows XP Pro, fully updated
MS Office 2000, fully updated
Internet Explorer, fully updated
Windows Media Player, fully updated
Norton System Works 2004, fully updated, no virus or other problems detected
Drivers for Video Card are fully updated
Selected Setup Data:
CPU External Frequency: 200mhz
CPU Frequency Multiple Setting: Auto
xCPU Frequency Multiple: 11.0x
System Performance: Optimal
CPU Interface: Optimal
Memory Frequency: Auto