AS5...what's the secret to this stuff? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
What's the secret to AS5? I know you're only supposed to put a little bit on the part you want it on, but whenever I try I get this long string of stuff (cause it's sticky). What's the secret to only getting a little bit?

Lol, I just put AS5 on my CPU about 3 weeks ago, and I totally forget... I would say try to GENTALY roll the tip on the surface of whatever it is to prevent the strings... or perhaps try twisting the tube (rolling) it in your fingers to get it to stop...

You clean off whatever it is with Isopropyl alcohol first right? (I prolly spelt it wrong).

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing.... He means when you are getting the AS5 out of the tube, the material doesn't just detatch at the end of the tube, its like cheese on a pizza fresh from the oven... all stringy. You HAVE to spread out the AS5 for it to work. I followed the directions, and used my heatsink to spread the AS5... Works pretty good so far, haven't checked temps, but the fans haven't ever sped up like they used to.

Ethereal_Dragon said:
I am not sure we are talking about the same thing.... He means when you are getting the AS5 out of the tube, the material doesn't just detatch at the end of the tube, its like cheese on a pizza fresh from the oven... all stringy. You HAVE to spread out the AS5 for it to work.

Well i was thinking of what everyone else say's then,Most tell you just to put a dab like the size of rice then just slap the HS on and give it a couple twist's,I just slap a bit on and spread it out thinly with a razor :confused:

The AS5 website even tells you to only place a small dot in the center. You are only cooling the core, which is in the center of the chip - no need to spread it out over the entire IHS.

The heat sink will smear it out anyway though, when you put it on.

Well I don't think it matters which way you do it to be honest. It's going to get smushed out anyway when you push the heatsink on though.

CrazeD said:
The AS5 website even tells you to only place a small dot in the center. You are only cooling the core, which is in the center of the chip - no need to spread it out over the entire IHS.

The heat sink will smear it out anyway though, when you put it on.
I've just taken the IHS off my CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom