argh!@ mb upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

downinfront

Baseband Member
I was asked to check out a buddies new system. he upgraded his mobo to a ecs 848p-a everything was swapped mirror image, so same ide's and jumper settings' and now when you boot it, it hits the boot options and says a recent hardware or software change may have caused this, and it wont boot to a prompt, safe mode, or anyhting, it just restarts regardless and does the same thing. It will also not boot from a cd, I tried the mobo cd and damnsmalllinux. I do not know the old equip as he does not know. any help on where to get started would be good.

What OS are you running? Have you gone to the BIOS and checked the boot sequence? Make sure it is set to boot from the CD first, and HDD second.

you have to do a repair install of your OS after you put in a new motherboard
if it is 2000 or XP, put in the OS CD on boot, at the first screen press enter to start install, go through a couple of screens until after you see "checking for previous versions of microsoft windows" and after that press 'r' to start a repair install

yeah, i agree with m3trj a reinstall would be far better because then you wont have any of your old drivers, so there wouldnt ever be any conflicts.

I repaired the install, everything seems to be going ok, I just needed a quick fix, its not my system and after I give it back, it wont be my problem. I was just doing a favor for a top level here at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom