Apeture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snafupen

Baseband Member
i have an epox ep8kra2+ mobo and in bios it gives me this thing called AGP apeture size. i set it to 128 thinking that my graphics card is 128Mb cause it is, and the thing on the apeture gives you an option and each number has an M after (so the option for 128 looked like 128M). i looked it up in the manual and it says that the apeture is a section of the PCI memory address range used for graphics memory. can anyone translate this for me?

PS. i have a radeon 9600XT

In general I think your Aperture Size should be set to a lesser amount than your VRAM, i.e in your case 64 MB. Be carefull not to set this to less than 64 MB though, I think it disables certain features...

Set it to half of your system RAM, that is the correct sollution.
Note, if you have a gig of RAM, but are using AGP 4X, you can't get it past 256.

I have a gig of RAM, and a 9600XT, and I can't get it passed 256...

Good luck

Yan Booth

AGP Aperture is the amount of system RAM your video card will use when the video cards memory is used up. For me, since I'm overclocking my RAM, if I set it higher than 128mb I'll get instabilities. Personally in my experience, 128mb is a good place to set it whether you have 512mb or a 1gb, you won't notice any performance gains or decreases really.

Looking at your sig, I would just leave it at 128mb

128M is about the right size. Its rare on modern vid cards to need to use this, but usually what happens is 1/2 of the aperture size is actually used in block memory because 1/2 is used for uncached and the other is for write/ cache

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom