Anyone used Driver Cleaner when swapping graphics cards? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Anyone used Driver Cleaner when swapping graphics cards?

My new Leatek 6600GT should arrive tomorrow, it is replacing my Radeon 9800SE. The only thing is, I'm slightly confused about getting rid of the drivers for the Radeon before installing the 6600GT. I've downloaded Driver Cleaner http://www.drivercleaner.net/dc.htm and read the readme but I'm still confused about exactly what to do and in what order.

Do I get rid of the ATI drivers with the Radeon still in, or do I do it when I've took it out and put the 6600GT in? I don't have any ATI stuff in my control panel as just a few days ago I reinstalled XP and haven't installed the latest Catalyst/Omega drivers, I'm just using the drivers that came with the preinstalled Radeon card. Here's the step-by-step instructions from the Readme of Driver Cleaner, which are confusing me:-

ATI:
1. Unplug nic card or modem from net or disconnect
2. Remove ATI driver from add/remove programs then remove the control panel from add/remove programs
3. Reboot into safe mode (F8 during boot up)
4. On reboot into safe mode WinXP SP1/SP2 will auto detect and install drivers. Just let it do its thing. If you can cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard then skip the rest and run Driver Cleaner! If you can NOT cancel out of auto detect wizard then...
5. Navigate to device mgr->display adapter->uninstall and/or remove ATI display adapter but do not reboot
6. Disable any AntiVirus Software (If you don't disable is than it could give trouble)
7. Run Cab Cleaner (not needed, but recommended)
8. Run Driver Cleaner
9. Empty recycle bin and reboot
10. Install the new drivers and control panel

Is this exactly what I have to do? It doesn't specify if you do this with the new card in or the old one still in. If someone who's done this before could tell me how to do it in simpler terms, it would be much appreciated.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

use the driver cleaner. I did flawlessly.

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 07-13-2005, 04:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by SHAWN
use the driver cleaner. I did flawlessly.
So I just follow those instructions?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Field Engineer

I used something called driver cleaner pro. First I uninstalled anything ATI in the control panel, then ran the cleaner. Then i shutdown, installed the new card, and installed the drivers from the nvidia webpage.

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 07-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

You can also use the cat-uninstaller from ati.com. It worked fine for me when I had a problem deleting the drivers.
RAM:1Gb (2x512) Samsung DDR400 PC3200 3,3,3,8
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA 200GB
VGA: Diamond Stealth Radeon 9200SE
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 430W
Old 07-14-2005, 09:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

I'm still not clear about all this, don't know if I uninstall the ATI stuff with the ATI card still in etc. Can anyone put it in some simple terms for me? I've had so many problems with the ATI card, I don't wanna have problems with this 6600GT.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Field Engineer

I explained what I did in the other post.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by SHAWN
I explained what I did in the other post.
Yeah, I know but you did it with Driver Cleaner Pro - I'm doing it with the standard Driver Cleaner. Also you don't mention if you used safe mode etc. What's really confusing me is this:-

4. On reboot into safe mode WinXP SP1/SP2 will auto detect and install drivers. Just let it do its thing. If you can cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard then skip the rest and run Driver Cleaner! If you can NOT cancel out of auto detect wizard then...

Install WHICH drivers? Surely I am uninstalling drivers not installing them, and if I still have the ATI card in what exactly is XP detecting and installing?

*confused*
Old 07-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan DeVille
You can also use the cat-uninstaller from ati.com. It worked fine for me when I had a problem deleting the drivers.
I'm on there now and I see the uninstaller. It say's it uninstalls ALL ATI related drivers - will this work for me as I don't have catalyst drivers etc?

Closed Thread