My new Leatek 6600GT should arrive tomorrow, it is replacing my Radeon 9800SE. The only thing is, I'm slightly confused about getting rid of the drivers for the Radeon before installing the 6600GT. I've downloaded Driver Cleaner http://www.drivercleaner.net/dc.htm
and read the readme but I'm still confused about exactly what to do and in what order.
Do I get rid of the ATI drivers with the Radeon still in, or do I do it when I've took it out and put the 6600GT in? I don't have any ATI stuff in my control panel as just a few days ago I reinstalled XP and haven't installed the latest Catalyst/Omega drivers, I'm just using the drivers that came with the preinstalled Radeon card. Here's the step-by-step instructions from the Readme of Driver Cleaner, which are confusing me:-
1. Unplug nic card or modem from net or disconnect
2. Remove ATI driver from add/remove programs then remove the control panel from add/remove programs
3. Reboot into safe mode (F8 during boot up)
4. On reboot into safe mode WinXP SP1/SP2 will auto detect and install drivers. Just let it do its thing. If you can cancel out of the auto install hardware wizard then skip the rest and run Driver Cleaner! If you can NOT cancel out of auto detect wizard then...
5. Navigate to device mgr->display adapter->uninstall and/or remove ATI display adapter but do not reboot
6. Disable any AntiVirus Software (If you don't disable is than it could give trouble)
7. Run Cab Cleaner (not needed, but recommended)
8. Run Driver Cleaner
9. Empty recycle bin and reboot
10. Install the new drivers and control panel
Is this exactly what I have to do? It doesn't specify if you do this with the new card in or the old one still in. If someone who's done this before could tell me how to do it in simpler terms, it would be much appreciated.