anyone heard of a vid card causing a PC to lock up? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Yee Ol' Salt
Default anyone heard of a vid card causing a PC to lock up?

I had Just recently had my PC lock up with no sign of life, i immediately thought the power supply went, but saw the green light still on so then thought the motherboard and went and bought a new one and put everything back together and still no response.. no fans no post. So my friend said must be a vid card and I never heard of that having fried many of cards in the past but after pulling everything out as for expansions and memory and then had fans and post. so put them back in one by one until I didn't get a response again and then found the culprit.. one of my 8500 GT's was dead.

I've never heard of that, anyone else ever have this or is it a freak thing?

Old 12-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to philbar71
Default Re: anyone heard of a vid card causing a PC to lock up?

it is not un common for a vid card to die. i just had my mobo die on me last tuesday. it went up in smoke

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

<<< i like rep :D
Old 12-25-2008, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n
Default Re: anyone heard of a vid card causing a PC to lock up?

I've had a similar problem when my 7800GT broke. The symptoms where not exactly the same but it was just a weird thing for a broken GPU to do.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread