Anyone fluent in MIDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
did you configure acid pro sound selections for this? Haven't used acid pro much, but may want to try another like Fruity Loops 5.0, you just configure it to define where the midi interface is.

Hmm, I dont think I messed enough with the MIDI settings. I suppose I will have to get wasted and work on it. I hate troubleshooting things like that, but beer makes it quite tolerable! :D

your soundcard may have a joystick port on it. you need to get a cable that goes midi plugs to game port. can you get serial ones can you, my new computer has an audigu 2 zs, which doent have a game port. these cables save you buying an expensive midi-usb box thing.

i want midi to connect my electric drums to my pc.

Ah yes, I did know of that. I forgot to mention that I wanted to use my MIDI man since my parents got it for me and I dont want it to go to waste. My other questions was the program I was going to use to configure the midi, which one should I use?

you can get stuff like cakewalk and sonar 2, but they are very expensive.

if you have a LUSH soundcard, like a pre-sonus firepod, you have midi in and out plugs on it. i know someone with one of those! they rock. it has 10 preamped inputs!

I got Acid 3.0 and Fruity Loops 3.0, i supose I could use those. But I'm not looking to incorporate sounds into my own samples, I'm looking to record it track by track and lay it down. IE: Drums, guitar, bass, then vocals. I can use Acid to lay down tracks like that, I could only to a point with Fruity Loops.

I should get a Live! Drive, that has MIDI in on it.

WHOAH. Wish I got to this thread earlier :p

What keyboard do you have? It seems you have a USB MIDI interface already, but you can't get it to work? Have you installed necessary drivers? I've had some experience with MIDI and never had issues getting it connected. Have you set up the necessary Acid settings? I've never used Acid before, but I don't think it's what you're looking for, even if it'll work fine.

Regarding hook up, you should have your MIDI out from the keyboard going to the MIDI in. From what I understand you're trying to do, I see no reason to have your computer send MIDI to your keyboard. It's unnecessary.

Despite being old, MIDI is powerful, and can be confusing for those who haven't used it before. If you're having problems, I can tell you where to find the gurus at this sort of thing :p. There's a synth forum I frequent where I'm sure there are people who could help if I can't.

One more thing, I wouldn't rely on a soundcard to deal with MIDI. I'd personally set up MIDI through USB and only that, and get the audio interface for it's SOUND, not MIDI capability.

is there any way i can connect midi apart from game port and usb then? you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject, Qiranworms

Firewire, and there are some PCI cards that have MIDI connections.

You get things that look as ridiculous as this E-Mu card:
emu0404.jpg

Or for example, some high end recording studio worthy cards just connect to a box that will have your ins, outs, and possible MIDI (note: this one does NOT have MIDI, but I was just trying to find a quick image to paste here so I grabbed this one off M-Audio's site)
delta_66.jpg

But the point is, unless you're willing to put together an expensive setup, the best way is usually simply through a USB/MIDI interface. The setup I'm putting together by the end of the summer won't have a card like that...I'm going to have a smaller usb controller, and through that I'll also have an 88-key stage piano, which will be "daisy-chained" in through the usb keyboard's MIDI in. You can do things like having complex intertwined chains of devices with MIDI...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom