Anyhting else needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice9

In Runtime
Ok so this is what I'm planning on getting to build the computer. I am reading the tutorials on http://www.pcmech.com/byopc and i'm learning a lot.
Here is what I think I will get:
1.Intel pentium 4 2.8ghz or faster 800 mhz
I was wondering if you guys thought the intel pentium 4 is nice or if I should get the Athlon processor? Although it seems like none of them are as fast. It looks like the fastest is 2.2ghz

2. x2 ddr-400 512mb pc3200
what brand of memory should I get?

3. The motherboad I think I'm going to get is the Asus p4p800 deluxe

4. For the hard drive on newegg.com they have the seagate 120 gb 7200 rpm, but they have one thats 84 dollars and one that is 96 dollars. Only difference I can see is that ones buffer is 2mb and the others is 8mb. What does this do and is it a big difference? There's also ones that are 104 dollars and one that is 150 dollars, but they show the same specs. I searched for seagate 120 gb. What is the difference between the models?

5. graphics card (not sure yet)
6. Sound blaster audigy 2
7. cd rom drives and stuff
8. Case: probably http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-133-126&depa=0

so is there anything else I need to get started?

what do you guys think aobut the processor? Sould I get the P4 or an AMD Athlon 64 3200+? It seems to cost more and not even be as fast. Says its only 2.0 ghz...

Ice9 said:
what do you guys think aobut the processor? Sould I get the P4 or an AMD Athlon 64 3200+? It seems to cost more and not even be as fast. Says its only 2.0 ghz...

anyone?

Deadguy said:

the P4 has 800 mhz... what does the AMD have? is it compatible with two ddr 400 memory cards? And will it be as good as the p4?

also in the link you gave me evertyhing tested is at 200 mhz... does this matter?

the Athlon processors have a lower clock speed but they perform as well as the P4's
why?
because they can complete more instructions per clock cycle than a P4, if they ran at the same frequencies, the Athlon's would perform MUCH better - although you'd need a crapload of cooling

RAM: go Corsair Micro, prolly 512MB (2x256) - 1024MB (2x512MB)
dual channel requires 2 RAM disks exactly the same

Hard Drive: Seagate 120-160GB SATA, almost the same price as ATA100, Seagate drives are VERY good quality, and the quietest ever 7200RPM drives. Also, SATA drives generally have 8MB buffers

Video Card: Saphire Radeon 9600 XT 128/256MB, this card performs almost as good as the Radeon 9800 XT but at a third of the price, it is the best for money verses performance.

for a motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-7NNXP or an Asus A7N8X for the Athlon processors are what I'd reccomend. the GA-7NNXP has dual BIOS so if the first BIOS stuffs up, you've got another one to roll back on

apokalipse said:
the Athlon processors have a lower clock speed but they perform as well as the P4's
why?
because they can complete more instructions per clock cycle than a P4, if they ran at the same frequencies, the Athlon's would perform MUCH better - although you'd need a crapload of cooling

RAM: go Corsair Micro, prolly 512MB (2x256) - 1024MB (2x512MB)
dual channel requires 2 RAM disks exactly the same

Hard Drive: Seagate 120-160GB SATA, almost the same price as ATA100, Seagate drives are VERY good quality, and the quietest ever 7200RPM drives. Also, SATA drives generally have 8MB buffers

Video Card: Saphire Radeon 9600 XT 128/256MB, this card performs almost as good as the Radeon 9800 XT but at a third of the price, it is the best for money verses performance.

So you think I should go with Radeon over geforce? I heard that geforce is compatible with more games then radeons. Also what do you guys think of the case choice? this one http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-133-126&depa=0
I was also looking into this one http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-133-127&depa=0 but it might be a little too much for what I'm getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom