Antistatic bag needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesspren6

In Runtime
When I was building my computer my dad threw away the antistatic bag for my motherboard. I rma'd my board and I need to ship it back but I don't have an antistatic bag and nobody has one big enough or sells them around here. As you know the rma is only good for 7 days so would it be alright to pack everything up and ship it? Carnage has built computers and handled components before with a fleece sweatshirt on haha, with no problems so this shouldn't be an issue, right?

i doubt they will make a big fuss, but if you can get your hands on one it would certainly be better. Just make sure it's in some kind of protective case though.

Its in a plastic molding in the retail box, but is there anything I could put around it that could be found around the house, like saran wrap lol?

Saran Wrap is not anti-static. There is not any common house hold items i know of that are anti-static. Aside from stuff used with PC's.

Ya, that is what I was thinking. Thanks for your help, I will just package it up good with the accessories and ship it out tomorrow.

Tin foil is anti-static. If you removed the CMOS battery from the mobo and wrapped it in tin foil, it'd be fine.

I quite regularly remove faulty PCBs from control panels and AC motor inverter drives and most manufacturers recommend wrapping them in tin foil (after removing any power sources and discharging capacitors) when I send them back.

Yep, I know it sounds mental, and you probably shouldn't wrap your mobo in tin foil to RMA it, but it's true... :)

EDIT: Actually I'm going to insist that you DON'T use tin foil, just to be sure. I'd feel guilty if you forgot to remove the battery! :D

Saran Wrap is a BAD idea, as it works on the idea of being staticaly charged. IMO, piece bags together and use tin tape that is used on are conditioning ducts to make a new bag, a few made into one big one... Just so they can't say it wasn't shielded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom