Another Week, Another W32/Mydoom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
It seems that the W32/MyDoom virus seems to be coming out with all sorts of varients.
The good news about that is that week have been over runned with service calls to clean up the W32/Mydoom.

Now I have been given the simple command prompt method of detecting 2 of the early version of W32/Mydoom

Go to the dos prompt, change directory to c: (later, to Z:\). In the dos prompt, type:

Dir shimgapi.dll /a /s (for detecting mydoom.A)

If file is found, then you have virus, otherwise you are clean.

In the dos prompt, type

Dir ctfmon.dll /a /s (for detecting mydoom.B)

This covers me for the earlier versions of W32/Mydoom. Any ideas on the later versions via this method?

I'm assuming the shimgapi.dll file is the MyDoom virus (or part of it) so if they haven't renamed this dll file to something else, I think it should detect it anyway.

sorry for being a bit off-track, but last night on who wants to be a super millionaire game show they said myDoom is the fastest spreading virus ever. . . . i think that is what they said.

Sorry for staying off track.

Yes, they did. Until the answers came up, I though it was Blaster.

ekÆsine said:
sorry for being a bit off-track, but last night on who wants to be a super millionaire game show they said myDoom is the fastest spreading virus ever. . . . i think that is what they said.

I think I can agree with that. We have been making more money on mopping up mydoom infections as appose to actual hard ware sales.

Other other thing that has been keeping the cash flow happening as been lightning strikes.

hilowe said:
Sorry for staying off track.

Yes, they did. Until the answers came up, I though it was Blaster.

Blaster was just more noticable to Joe ComputerUser it makes the computer unable as it will cause Win XP / 2k to reboot.

do antivirus companies really manufacture and release viruses so they stay in business or is that just a conspiricy theory??? I suppose there are enough wayward teenagers to create the viruses without the need for that!!

hygor said:
do antivirus companies really manufacture and release viruses so they stay in business or is that just a conspiricy theory???

That is a conspiracy theory in my opinion.

Last time I check, if you create virus, the penalties are very heavy.
I think you are looking at at least 5 year jail, heavy fine and the posiblity of getting sue by any one company where you virus as has actually caused them damage.

I noticed that Microsoft as put up a bounty of $250 000 to who ever can provide them informaiton on who is responible for mydoom.

its not a conspiracy it is true. think about the measely quarter million compared to the damage these virus have caused. thats a very poor reward. the virus software developers are the ones creating the viruses and trojans.

i can just vision them all together at a meeting rubbing their greedy little hands together and having a good laugh at us now :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom