Another random reboot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagleboy

In Runtime
I see this board gets a lot of problems involving random reboots.

---I read the sticky, yes, but I don't think it applies to my specific case.

Okay, about a month ago I brought my PC to a LAN party, and it wouldn't boot up. I got an error beep, I looked up the sequence on the SOYO website, and it said that my video card wasn't seated correctly in the AGP slot.
My card was definitely seated well, but I took it out, blew air in the slot, and stuck it back in a few times without luck, and it started working. Then, the random reboots started.

The reboots happened randomly, and the system would completely lock up when a program went to fullscreen or the the screen resolution changed.

I figured it was my video card. I'm still waiting to get my new one from a friend, and my computer just started working. I could leave it on for days on end again, no problems!

I got a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro for free last week, so I stuck it in, and then I got a bunch of problems from that. The system froze when I changed the volume. I got new drivers, and the Audigy works perfectly.

Now, the reboots are happening again. I changed out my 400W PSU to a brand new 600W PowMax yesterday, so it can't be the PSU. I've been using my 1gb of DDR ram for over a year now, so I doubt it's that. The video card is still the old one that was in when the reboots started happening, as my friend hasn't sent me my new ATi card yet.

I think it's the video card, but I really can't be sure of that. I thought I would ask the assistence of more experienced troubleshooters before I go buying a new motherboard or something.

I've ran PowMax PSUs before, and I've had no problem with them before.

But yeah---I have no other AGP cards to test out. Unfortunately...

I got a few things for you to consider:

1) Try opening the side of the case and pointing a fan towards the inside to give a huge amount of airflow to eliminate overheating as a problem.

2) Try using one stick of memory at a time. Better yet use memtest86 (as per sticky).

3) Try removing the sound card. I know that you were having problems prior to sound card, but still try.

Thanks for reading the sticky before posting:D

Elbatrop1 said:
Thanks for reading the sticky before posting:D

No problem---I'm a moderator at a very large forum, and I know how pissed people get when new users don't research their topics before posting.

When I get home I'll try all that stuff. I think I resolved the problem with the Soundblaster, however I will remove it and run it for a while.

And I'll try the memory test as well.

I don't think overheating is a problem either---I ran UT2004 at full settings for over 3 hours, exited the game, opened up IE about an hour later, and while typing in "www.google.com", my system clicked and rebooted.

But, I won't rule it out given the fact that I have the crappiest processor imaginable (Celeron 2.6, don't laugh I was on a tight budget at the time), so I might as well try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom