Another RAM question, sry...

What would you rather spend your money on?

• Flashy, nice sports car (or fixing up your not so sporty car)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • An awesome pimpin' gaming rig

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

YanBooth

Daemon Poster
Well, after asking this question, I decided on two gig's, but now, I'm not so sure...
Should I go with 1 gig dual channell, or will the performance increase with 2 gig's in games be REALLY noticeable??????
Thanks
Yan

I am unaware of any mobo's that can run 4 sticks at dual channel. I may be wrong, but usually dual-channel is reserviced for two-slots only, and after that you have to just run parallel.

Besides...what are you doing where you need 2gigs of RAM? If you're just gaming, you're wasting your money.

So one gig of duall channel?
I guess that's what I will go with...
And I meant dual channel with 2 sticks of 1 gig...
Thanks Shoobie
Yan

Dual channel with 1gig sticks is gonna be a bytch. You'd most likely get better performance with 4-sticks of moderately-fast 512 with no DC, than two sticks of 1gig.

Technically you can have a very fast 2-gig 2-stick setup, but yer gonna pay out yer whazzoo for the low latencies you'll need to make it profitable.

my god man! what ARE you doing?? you do not need that much if youre unsure what to get, no offense. just get two 512 sticks and you will be totally fine. if you have that much money to burn, your stuff will be outdated soon enough and you will wish you had some of that money to spend on ddr2 (if it becomes the norm) and 675 or whatever that crazy new stuff is that noone will honestly be able to use (except movie editors and designers and whatever). the difference in fps (if it even changes) will not matter, with frames above like 80 theres no difference in actual quality other than bragging rights, 40 is all you need (i forget the actualy number the human eye can detect i thought it was like 30 but whatever). and are you sure whatever mobo you have is gonna run that w/o downclocking it, some mobo's do that.

Without flipping out on you...I'll tell you that unless you're doing heavy graphics work, working a lot with OpenGL, using programs with heavy real-space, or video/audio editing...you DON'T need two gigs of RAM.

Just get one (1) gig of the best (fastest) RAM you can get (and your computer can support) and you'll be happy.

OK, well, I will go with one gig of dual channell RAM.
Now, when a motherboard can only support up to PC 3200, can you get something like PC 4400 to work in it, I mean, I know it will work, but only at PC 3200, so is there any way to make it work at PC 4400?
Thanks
Yan Booth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom