annoying booting problem (please help!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

subdivizion

Banned
it's almost been a month since i built my pc. it's been working fine until recently however with no hardware changes except an insertion of a USB hub. but here's the problem. tha PC must be overloading while doing things on Windows 2000 because it restarts itself. I figured next time i'll turn restart automatically off so i can see the error. however, almost everytime including this one, the system won't boot up. it'll start restarting, will NOT get into BIOS and the screen will go into suspend mode. i figure it could be a power issue, disconnected almost everything and nothing. then i thought maybe the floppy was bad, took it off nothing. then maybe the USB hub was consuming too much power. nope! then i figurd the motherboard went bad or the CPU is overheating. no leaking capacitors and the CPU is running at 35 degrees. then after a while it'll automatically restart and i hear the beep which means it POSTed. it goes into my GRUB bootloader, freezes for a few secs and restarts. next time i got it to boot, i went into BIOS to make some changes to try and fix it and it froze while i was working on the BIOS and restarted and now it's laying there semi-dead. what else could it be? i have a 430W supply which powers 1 HDD, 2 CDdrives, 1 Floppy, and the motherboard which in turn feeds a 3.0GHz CPU, an NVidia AGP card, a Creative Sound Card, a D-Link NIC card and the USB keyboard and mouse hooked into the hub. all components are new. please, if anybody have any suggestions, i will really appreciate it.

lol, this is not help but judging from the rest of ur comp, the video card is outta date! u can pick up a nice nvdia geofrce fx for around 150-200 dollars

about ur prob, might be the ram is causing a prob, if u can get in the bios change the mhz to 333, other wise just try to put in some spare memory thats not pc3200, i had the same probs, i can't run my pc3200 in my msi bios at 400mhz, it just doesn't boot up and when it does windows 2000 pro gives a error that i found was caused by my mem, corasair

oh i know the video card is old and raggedy but i don't care much. i found it for 40 bucks and it's good enough for me. my pc is not used for gaming. it's an ftp server and a music studio. thanx for tha suggestion though.

as for the RAM, i'll take one out and retest it and see what happens. thanx for the input.

other ideas?

ID take everthing off but the Videocard and the hard drive and reset your bios with ccmos.

If same problem persist. Reformat and install.If it still restarts keep green pea soup away from it and take it to a priest.

hahahahhaa. but i like green pea soup!!!!!!

well i got it starting again but i fear the same problems. if it happens again, i'm afraid i WILL have to reset CMOS. thanx for your feedback

by the way, gkhan, you were right. i fixed the poblem. the video card sucked!!!!! i eventually got a long and 2 short beeps and took the card out and put an old ATI Rage Pro 128 in there. not much but enough to hold me till i get a new one. thanx man!

any suggestions on an average card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom