amptron pII-3100 BIOS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

puppyprincess

Beta member
I recently got a secondhand computer from a friend, who was going to throw it away i supose. everything seems to work but the hard drive (bad sectors, clicking noise) so i got rid of the hard drive, which was a 5 gig Fujitsu drive. its an old computer, but in decent shape, and all i need it for is light browsing for recipes in the kitchen (as im a chef) however it wont find the only spare drive i have (a 40 gig 4500 rpm quantum fireball) (hangs at the BIOS which is an award BIOS, saying..searching for primary IDE drive ( i know the cables are fine and the drive is fine so im guessing it is too big and the BIOS cant support it?)

i did some searching, and found out the board is an AMPTRON PII-3100 mainboard, but i cannot seem to find any info on the boards' hard drive size limit, the biggest size drive you can put in it. ( i assume a BIOS update would solve this, but i am not that confident to try that, so am not looking for that sort of info) so was just wondering if anyone was familiar with this board or knows where to find this sort of info id be really really grateful as id hate to see a computer not being used when its in otherwise okay shape, as i could just use a cheap hard drive that would be recognized and usable.
I can provide any more info that may help,

Thanks

Maxtor now owns Quantum all support for quantum drives is handled by Maxtor . You can use MaxBlast 3 to format/setup your hard drive .I guess your loading Win 98 .You can get MB 3 here Max Blast 3 Follow the directions on how to make a bootable floppy .
Also check your jumper settings on the Hard Drive .Try cable select if Master does not work .Make sure your using the correct ribbon cable(you probably need a 40 pin ) and connection to the cable .Master is connected at the end of the ribbon cable .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom