AMD's 65nm parts are in the cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

syringe

In Runtime
From here: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30385

It looks like AMD will have production 65nm parts availible in Q4. It also looks like the new DSL SOI process may be having a rockey start ..... but that also indicates that the DSL SOI process IS in fact being utilized for AMD's 65nm parts.

I can't locate the link, but there was an article showing AMD/IBM claims of ~40% improvement with the new DSL SOI process. I guess we will see in a couple of quarters just how good it is

So AMD won't have such a long delay between Conroe and its 65nm parts after all. The addition of DDR2 800 is good for 3-5% reportedly, and larger L2 cache should be worth another 5%.

So can AMD raise their clock speed by 10% beyond that to even the odds with Conroe?

This looks like something worth waiting for instead of jumping into the M2 socket now. We should get insane overclocks out of these CPUs.

contrary to what people thought when hearing about conroe, AMD isn't standing still. they will have very competitive processors by conroe's release.
IMO Intel must have been desperate when letting andantech review the conroe. but it was very premature; now AMD knows what Intel has

I believe they are referring to Socket F chips, so don't expect 65nm for the desktop in 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom