amd64

Status
Not open for further replies.

neversleeps

In Runtime
i kno the new amd 64 chips are the only thing that will run the new 64 bit os's but for something like xp which is 32 bit, will a lets say 2ghz 64 chip run it faster than a regular 32 bit cpu at the same speed. im building a pc when i get some money and just wanna kno if its worth me getting of these chips if i dont use a 64 bit os or would it b better to invest my money in some other hardware.
thx
neversleeps

Athlon 64's will outperform any Intel CPU now including the P4-EE (extreme edition)
I suggest the 3200 or 3400 since they are 1/3 to 1/2 the price of the P4-EE and the Athlon 64 FX-53
even using a 32-bit only OS they still perform best for their money

Agreed, they will perform well on a 32 bit os, its worth it if you have the money. They will really be able to shine though when 64 bit os's become the standard and more things are compatable, but for now you can still have fun with them :D

I guess some there is some linux instructions that take advantage of the 64bit processing, but I haven't been able to install linux yet. I'm very satisfied with my Athlon 64 3200+.. I was waiting since 2002 to buy one..

They are definalte worth it, and I imagine Mircosoft will have thier 64-bit version of windows out pretty soon.

apokalipse said:
Athlon 64's will outperform any Intel CPU now including the P4-EE (extreme edition)

Ermm, the FX series will, not that even comparing the FX series and EE's matter unless were daydreaming:p

The 3200+ and 3400+ are very good CPU's though, and I'd recommend the 3200+ which is around $250, so it's a good buy;)

BlazingWolf said:
They are definalte worth it, and I imagine Mircosoft will have thier 64-bit version of windows out pretty soon.

there are already 64-bit versions of Windows Advanced Server 2003 and Windows XP. They've been there for months....

64bit CPU's aren't new, Opterons and Titaium's exist for years now. they weren't really made for the consumer....

I rather buy a Dual Opteron system then a FX-53 or a amd64 3400+ . They're faster, only a little more expensive and don't require registered memory(like the fx'es)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom