AMD vs. Intel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been swaying back and forth between whether I'm going to get an Intel or AMD in my PC when I build it, as I want to game and edit. The FX-55 has won me over to the AMD side though. It finnaly matches Intel's video editing/encoding capabilities (VERY close, sometimes just above, sometimes just below), and now beats it by more in gaming.

Bottom line: AMD owns Intel as far as I'm concerned :). (for the moment anyway)

This is kind of like a graphics card debate. Both cpu's are good and will do well at comperable levels. It's a matter of personal preference but if you must have the absolute best you need to find out what you do the most and then choose. With the closer architecture the AMD's do well in gamming. If you do things like video encoding and number crunching then go with the intels. As for the AMD FX-55 it is going to kick some major ass either way.

AMDs processes data more efficiently per clock cycle than does intel processors. Intels need one clock cycle to wake the CPU, another to process data. While AMDs simply need one clock cycle to both wake and process data.

the Athlon 64's are capable of running 64-bit applications, when they do, they should theoretically double in performance

also, the Semprons and Athlon 64's can process every instruction that comes in 32-bit, just like 2 people speaking english, one person can speak english better then the other

when people look at their CPU's, too often do people judge a CPU by it's frequency
by doing so, they are, well... right and wrong, but mostly wrong
they are normally right when judging CPU's of the same architecture, like a 2.8GHZ P4 beats a 2.4GHZ P4, although sometimes they are still wrong when comparing higher frequencies in CPU's of the same architecture; it has been known that some overclocks have resulted in a CPU performing worse than at lower frequencies, I think this is more common on Athlon XP's
the frequency doesn't tell you how many instructions a CPU can process at a time, which is why the measurement of 'flops' has been made - you might have heard of megaflops or gigaflops before, this is the number of instructions a CPU processes in 1 second

yup otherwise known as MFLOPS and MFLIPS also I believe in the sisoftware sandra benchmarks. Like I said check out that 2.7GHz post I did of arithmatic and multimedia CPU benching and it beats out a 3.8GHz intel in some areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom