AMD Vs. Intel - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 07:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default AMD Vs. Intel

I'm planning on building myself a system sometime soon and I'm just trying to decide which way I should go. I personally know absolutely nothing about AMD's, but I have heard that they are quite decent. I want to build a machine that can handle all the games out there today. Right now I'm stuck with starcraft haha.

What are your opinions towards Intel and Amd?

If I were to go Intel, I was looking into the P4 3.0e GHz 800 FSB w/ 1MB Cache and Hyper-Threading.
If I decided for AMD which processor's seem to be the best, most reliable..etc.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to anarchy

If you know what to look for, this is a pretty good site that gives you comparisons of the two.

http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Art...mparison.shtml

I personally am running a P4 2.8 Ghz, and I have had virtually no problems with the games of today. The processor has some to do with gaming preformance, but not alot. If your looking for gaming, the video card is where it's at.

Search TF!
<form method=\"get\" action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form></small></font></p></p>
Old 05-03-2004, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

dam not this AMD vs Intel crap again. we have like 10 of these threads already and they get massive and tiresome. Fokz do us a favor and just do a search on the forum, you will get many matches.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Hello,

I would go with AMD. They have the faster processor. All my systems run AMD. Let the flaming begin . Depending on the amount of money you want to spend, you could get the Athlon 64 3000+ or if you do not have that kind of cash flow I would look at the XP 2500+ on up to the XP 3200+. With Intel they are pushing GHzs and with AMD they are pushing processing power and speed of calculations. Look at www.newegg.com for some good deals. There are alot of benchmarks out there and the results are AMD is faster.
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
When responding please provide your full system specs; hardware and software, OS, BIOS, drivers Etc. You can e-mailmemory related questions to cpl@micron.com
Old 05-03-2004, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sorry ekÆsine, I'm a lazy child. Searching forums for specifics takes time and I'm all about the quick, simple and easy ways out:P. Haha I'm just jokin, I honestly didn't consider looking. I'll look for the previous discussions.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

If you plan on overclocking for gaming, go with AMD because they run cooler. Their 64-bit processors are the best thing on the market right now if you're looking to spend some cash. If not, get a lower-end one and overclock it. I've heard that AMDs are generally better for gaming and Pentiums are generally better for tasks like video editing.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to tylertherobot Send a message via Yahoo to tylertherobot

Alrighty, Fokz, from a totally neutral point of view (Now neutral anyway)

There IS a speed difference between a 3.2gHZ intel and an AMD 3200+.

Until you get to the low down, and compare a 2.0 ghz Intel P4 to a 2800 running at 2.08, if you have the AMD in a system with plenty of ram, it will totally blast the 2.0 ghz Intel out of the water.

TO be perfectly honest, It doesn't require a super-new computer to run almost all games very well.

really all you need is a processor over 1.4ghz and atleast 512 mb of ram, and a video card equivilent or better than a GeForce FX5200 with atleast 128 MB of vid ram.

I have a 2800+ in my new system and it's effing genius. HOpe this helped!
1024 MB Kingston Hyper-X
120GB 7200 RPM 8MB
160GB 7200 RPM 2MB
GeForce FX5500 256MB
16x DVD
16x52x32x52 DVD/CDRW Combo
Old 05-03-2004, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to blankbandit

geeeze.....maybe it's time for a new moderator....someone who isn't jaded by these mundane questions. i just hope u're not a school teacher crushing the spirits of fresh minds!
Old 05-03-2004, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

What I meant by supporting all games, "today", meaning the fast paced industry. I want a system that will last a good year before encountering thoughts of major upgrades. I'm running a P3 533Mhz....It really sucks. I spend probably 2/3's of my life on my computer, now I mean really, I need to be able to go to a computer store to buy some software and not even consider the system requirements! lol, not haveing to search for low grade software that my baby can handle!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

*ZzZzZzZzZzZ* I AM TOO TIRED to explain but go AMD...all i gotta say. Since you aren't into video editing, you don't need pentium. My system which is not in my sig is: amd 64 3000+, 1 gig of kingston hypeRX pc 3200 ram Cas2, Ati radeon 9800 pro,120GB sata and it gliiiiddesss

• MSI K8T NEO-FSR ATHLON 64 S754 K8T800 DDR AGP 5PCI SATA RAID 1000LAN SOUND
  • OCZ DUAL CHANNEL OPTIMIZED 2X512MB DDR PC3200 CAS2 W/ COPPER HEAT SPREADER
  • SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.7 SERIAL ATA 120GB EIDE 7200RPM 9MS 3.5LP
  • 1.44MB BLACK 3.5IN FLOPPY DRIVE
  • ATI RADEON X800 PRO AGP8X 256MB DDR3 VGA DVI-I TV OUT RETAIL BOX
  • LITEON 52X32X52 ATAPI IDE BLACK CD-REWRITER SMART-BURN OEM W/ SOFTWARE
  • LITEON BLACK 16X DVD-ROM INT E-IDE OEM W/ SW DVD PLAYER
  • [/size]
Closed Thread