AMD Shifts to DDR2 with Socket M2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
The first AMD microprocessors to support DDR2 SDRAM will be dual-core AMD Athlon 64 X2 chips in the second quarter of 2006, according to an article from PC Perspective web-site, which also published some slides from a presentation presumably by AMD to illustrate DDR2 plans of the chipmaker.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20050430084624.html

This gets me a little disappointed, but I think I'll end up just sticking with Venice and DDR1 until the next platform after M2 with DDR3 or XDR support. I really want AMD to use XDR RAM since it has incredibly high speeds with DDR1 latencies, but I'm sure it'll ever become affordable or popular.

AMD will most likely be using DDR2 667 so at the very least we'll see bandwidth increases.

I thought they were going to go for DDR3 as soon as it makes its appearence, and skip DDR2.

Hopefully DDR2 would be alot cheaper, about the same price as DDR with the same low latencies, no 3-2-2-8 for the performance ram.

I thought the same thing, I was expecting them to skip right to DDR3 when it came, it would have been a better choice...

Has to be the X2s huh? Damn, those are pretty overpriced if you ask me...

The idea that AMD was skipping DDR2 was a rumour, which AMD has denied in this article.

The Athlon X2 will come crashing down in price by the time socket M2 comes around, AMD is migrating the entire Athlon 64 line-up to dual core architechture, and most likely the FX series will also be manufactured as dualies by the time this happens, since multithreaded software should be most abundant, so the prices will drop.

I personally like XDR RAM better than DDR3 just because it has DDR3 speeds with latencies of DDR1, but as I've said, it's hard for any company, let alone an underdog like AMD, to push a new platform onto the market, especially if it's freaking expensive, and especially since the built in memory controller dictates one and only one type of memory.

Bah I say!! I'll have to make my 3200+ venice and TCCD RAM last a long time then

Meh, socket 939 will still be availible until some time next so you could always pick up a faster processor that's dropped in price and pop it in. Wouldn't mind getting a dirt cheap FX processor myself. :D

Wonder if they will keep socket 939, because all they would have to do is change the memory controller on the die, and make new motherboards.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom