AMD Set to Adopt New Interconnect Architecture, DDR3 in Three Years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
An article on X-bit Labs:

AMD Set to Adopt New Interconnect Architecture, DDR3 in Three Years.
AMD Promises to Improve Server Processors, Add DDR3 Support in 2008

The worldÂ’s second largest maker of x86 microprocessors, Advanced Micro Devices, disclosed plans to introduce enhanced multi-core processors that support built-in DDR3 memory controller as well as to present platform initiatives that allow more than 8 physical chips to be installed into a single system.

By 2008 AMD is set to introduce its so-called Direct Connect architecture 2.0 that would improve interconnection between processors and processing engines within a chip. The new interconnection architecture will allow more than 8 processors to be connected in a single coherent memory system without the need for additional logic devices. The company plans to offer the architecture that will allow to easily build up to 32-way systems.

In addition, AMD, along with its infrastructure partners, plans to incorporate and
support DDR3 memory technology. The first samples of such products are set to emerge in 2007, whereas the first DDR3-supporting products for consumers, such as AMD Athlon 64 and Sempron processors, will be available in 2008, according to the current plans of AMD.

Earlier it was reported that AMD plans to commercially launch quad-core chips, Hyper-Transport 3.0 interconnection protocol, extend AMD64 instruction set, as well as add FB-DIMM support for server processors in 2007.

Among the short-term plans of AMD the company names such features dual-channel DDR2 memory support, virtualization and security capabilities in addition to advanced thermal management and advanced power management features. Chips with such functionality are expected to emerge in 2006.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20051125093452.html

Sounds like better and better things ahead.

::wipes away the drool:: jeez man, insane stuff....sooo basically it's looking like my current system will be lasting me until 2008 whether I really want to or not lol.

Shouldn't be too bad though, it'll take 2 years to get through will school, so a little waiting after that and boom, new socket, CPU's, DDR3 support...will be a nice little upgrade.

Wonder how much the freakin memory bandwidth is gonna be....if AMD64's are pulling in 6gb/sec+ as it is, then with DDR2 I was assuming it'd be over 10gb/sec and with DDR3 and updated HTT and memory controllers etc..etc...I wonder if we'll be seeing 20gb/sec memory bandwidth....at that point the need for 2gb won't really be there as far as gaming is concerned IMO...of course in that time games could just exponentially grow and 2gb still would be needed

Oh yeah, wouldn't be suprised if AMD uses DDR3 that breaks the 1GHz level...combine that with tweaked HTT bus and we're looking at INSANE memory bandwidth...almost certain that AMD will have adapted K9 architecture for use with DDR3 so we're looking at what looks like at least quad core CPUs running minimum 3-4GHz each with probably anywhere from 4-8GHz effective HTT bus

I don't plan on upgrading again until DDR2 has past anyways and this it looks like I'm gonna get a ridiculous performance increase when that happens

Also factor in that these chips will probably using something like a 30nm process size which would allow probably 1.0v vcore or less and ridiculous thermal specifications

I don't know about 30nm process....I mean I know it's like 3 years from now and all but that's a mighty big leap to go from 90 to 30.

Like you though it'll be a while before I upgrade...I'm thinking when AMD puts out it's new socket with DDR3 support it'll be a good time to upgrade and as you said should be a **** good significant boost in power compared to what we're seeing now.

I'll need to start a 'computer fund' now so I can afford a quad core CPU, **** near top end graphics card, PhysX processor, etc..etc...basically it'll need to be a whole new computer from the ground up.

Meh, they are already developing 65nm process size cores which are slated to be out next year I believe...they probably won't get as low as 30nm but they'll still be much more power conservative than what we're seeing now...mind you that being said, lower process size doesn't come without its disadvantages, the main one being that insulation size on transitors gets smaller and current might leak making a processor hotter than larger process sizes (see the Prescott for an example)...and lower process size will also mean less overall vcore headroom

Eh, I think building a computer from the ground up is easier than adding on parts bit by bit because then you've got a well balanced machine that you don't need to keep constantly putting money into...plus then you won't have to worry about new technologies muchlike the current AGP/PCI-E woes

I guess once they get down to that point there really won't be a need for a 'mobile' type processor like with the XP-Ms....I was kind of disappointed they didn't have such equivelant with the AMD64s but then came winchesters that clocked like mad at first, then of course venices and now the opterons, so no doubt they'll have the same then.

Next time that chance comes around I'm getting a CPU ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom