AMD in servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray-ACEWeb

Solid State Member
Recently I have thought of using AMD Athlon CPU's for my future servers. But I am kind of reluctant to switch from P4 1.7Ghz over to AMD Athlon. I am worried about heat problems and it's stability in a 1U case. But other than that, I have few AMD machines here and I have been happy with them since day one. I also have few Intel machines that I am not overall happy with because of lockups and slowness. I am really considering using AMD chips for my new servers however I would like your opinions first. Also, would using the silicone compound help cool the chip down or no? What would you recommend and what are your experiences with AMD chips in a 1U case or a server?

How does AMD chips compare to Intel chips in a server?

I have been a AMD fan for a long time but I have never use them in a server.

Thank You

What would you suggest for a 1U server? Bore holes in the server, etc.

What type of fans, btw?

Thanks

Something made by thermaltake is always the best... I have used TT HSF combos on ALL my Athlon CPU's and have never had a problem with lockups, overheating, nothing.

Just out of curiosity. Have you ever use a AMD chip in something as small as a 1U rackmount?

Thanks

Ecniv said:
Something made by thermaltake is always the best... I have used TT HSF combos on ALL my Athlon CPU's and have never had a problem with lockups, overheating, nothing.

i've never heard of AMD doing bad things like that....

only intel :p

plus AMD is much cheaper.

Much cheap and alot more reliable than Intel, IMO. But never used an AMD chip in a 1U. Guess I should experiment? I'll definately use artic silver. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom