AMD Releases K8L specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm glad they've finally confirmed DDR3 support in the next year however I'm a tad disappointed they did not use XDR instead. I also rather like the idea of independant voltage controls for each core they are engineered differently and do respond different in terms of scalibitility, although I am a bit concerned what it means in terms of core life

Too bad K8L is limited to Socket F...or at least for now it seems

Yeah, the independent vcore does sound cool. That should help in OC'ing these things.

Just overall though, better instructions, improved IPC, and better scaling should all be there, so these things should be pretty impressive.

AMD also has a better platform for quad-core with their on-die memory controller, so we'll see how that battle goes.

I doubt these will be released on socket 939, so these might really give a reason for people to switch to AM2.

AMD has released that they will be killing off the production of s939 at the end of this year, so no it wont be released on s939.

This just adds more confusion to my plans. :( Quad core does sound niiice though if games support it that is.

Will they even release K8L for the desktop? or will it be for server platforms.
Surely AM2 can't handle quad core?

MrCoffee said:
Will they even release K8L for the desktop? or will it be for server platforms.
Surely AM2 can't handle quad core?
Yes, it will be in their desktop line. Why would you think the AM2 socket won't handle quad cores? :confused:

I thought socket F had so many pins (over 1200) in order to accomodate quadcores, that would (to me) imply that AM2 doesn't take quadcores.

Truth is I have absolutly no idea.

no, I think the extra pins are so multiple CPU's can communicate with each other (CPU's, not cores)
since it is a server socket, and servers often use multiple CPU's

Intel is going to take the performance crown from AMD this summer with its new conroe. I am really hoping this will allow AMD to reclaim it from intel when these cpus come out.

Isnt intel working on a quad-core cpu of their own too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom