AMD promises quad cores by 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
CHIP FIRM AMD told analysts yesterday that it will roll out quad cores by 2007.

That is going to give Intel a severe headache. ..

But the firm also told the analysts that only minor changes are expected in 2006. The M2 socket, however, will mean quad core chips can just slot into existing designs.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27739

Check thearticle, as they have several slides posted from AMD's announcement. Sounds like good news ahead.

DDR3 by 2007? Not likely...AMD has been using DDR1 for 3-4 years now, they aren't going to switch to DDR2 for less than a year and then yet again revamp their memory controller for DDR3...besides, they specifically wait until prices on new memory platforms drop to the prices of the modules they use in their existing systems before making transitions

Intel won't start using DDR3/XDR until 2008 at the earliest...I wouldn't expect AMD to start until K9 strand of processors are released

my next computer probably won't be built until DDR3 and PCI-E GenII is out...that'll be nice.

for all we know they could have been working on getting ready for DDR3 a while now....and DDR2 is just a temporary resting spot

I am happy with what I have thank you very much! I am waiting for my 2x1gb set of RAM to get here, and as soon as it does I will sell what I have now. Then all I need is a PhysX card and I will be set for UT2007 :)

But the firm also told the analysts that only minor changes are expected in 2006. The M2 socket, however, will mean quad core chips can just slot into existing designs.
That explains the socket change for next year.
Pitty that the currently Skt 754 and Skt 939 are going to be short lived.

I love how people make assumptions about cores that have release dates slated for well over a year let alone even been tapped out yet

You forget that Intel has a revised architecture based on the Pentium M and it is VERY impressive, VERY overclockable and extremely affordable...in addition, Intel is going to incoporate LDT bus into future architecture meaning they're going to get large spikes in memory bandwidth combined with high frequency high IPS cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom